Moving FreeNAS and bhyve VMs to new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenith_UK

Dabbler
Hi all,

Hopefully somebody is able to give me some pointers. Today I went through the process of moving my FreeNAS installation and disks from a HP Microserver G7 to a Gen8. After installing FreeNAS onto the new server, I moved the disk over and imported the zpool. All ok so far. I then restored the config and aside from having to sort out the network interfaces, everything else worked fine, including SMB shares and jails except my VMs. They just won't start at all. The related zvols are there and even if I try to create a new VM using the existing zvols, the VM still doesn't start.

Any advice for troubleshooting much appreciated.

Zenith_UK

Dabbler
I've actually made some progress (yes, in the past two minutes since posting...). If I remove the NIC from the VM and start it up, it runs ok, but obviously with no network. I guess this was to be expected with the niggles I had with the FreeNAS interface after the hardware change. Not sure how to proceed though, so any advice still welcome.

Zenith_UK

Dabbler
Further update. Creating a brand new VM also doesn't work. I suspect the behind the scenes iohyve stuff is still trying to use an old interface from the previous server.

Zenith_UK

Dabbler
OK - I seem to have solved my issue. I thought I would try changing to the Nightlies build to get the very latest version and suddenly my VMs came up with working network interfaces. Not entirely sure why, but not complaining. I still had to make the normal changes for change of MAC address on the Linux VMs to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, but otherwise I am back up and running.

Stux

MVP
Thought maybe you could have some bios settings that need changing, e.g. VT-x etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.