virtualbox version in 9.3 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyclimb

Contributor
What is the version of virtual box included in the 9.3 release?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
4.3.18 is included with FreeNAS 9.3. I've actually got a newer template to build for 9.3, I'm just having some problems with the new apache. :p It's on my long to-do list this weekend.

andyclimb

Contributor
ah cool. Am I correct in thinking that in the future lets say virtual box release an update. 4.3.21 for example, and it will be able to be pushed as an update for freenas fairly easily. ie... via the update manager.

I'm still experiencing a lot of crashes using vbox and windows 7, 4.3.12 has made it a LOT more stable, and usable though.

Are you building the 4.3.20 version?
I had a bunch of problems with updating that jail, there was another apache package that i did not realise was required for apache

apr-1.5.1.1.5.3

so i updated the jail with apache, vbox etc locked and it still broke! thank god for snapshots!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@andyclimb

Yes and no.

Yes, in theory we can do that. The problem is that it's not all peaches and cream because then the virtualbox jail has to be updated, which means we have to tell people to update the jail AND the FreeNAS version together. So right now the plan is to freeze the virtualbox version now that 9.3 is out. That may change, but I wouldn't bet on it. At least, not unless some serious security bug or otherwise pops up in the current build of virtualbox.

andyclimb

Contributor
Cheers for the update!

Still not got the courage to update yet... i've so much stuff going on, on my server it will be bound to break so much of it... I don't have the time to fix it at the moment..

It really runs everything! to the dismay of my partner!

andyclimb

Contributor
oh and merry xmas!

andyclimb

Contributor
Wanted to post a new post on this topic... turns out i found my old one.

I've not upgraded to 9.3. Might just wait until 10.. but i was curious what version of VB comes with 9.3.1? Had a scout around and can't find anything. I noticed VB 5 is out now too. any plans to include that?

Turns out all those rebooting issues i was having I think are due to running multiple CPU cores on an Xeon, There are lots of people having these VM instability issues with windows 7 + VB + Xeons. my rebooting went when i went back to 1 CPU.. glad it only took 1.5 years for me to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.