VirtualBox Jail - Windows 10 from 8 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowvin

Explorer
TLDR; It was broke, I fixed it, and I don't fully understand why.

Man on Man do I have a story for you!

For starters I figured I would put this in the off topic part of the forum as I just wanted to share in case someone else was also trying to figure this out. There's also the chance that someone will comment with "Duh, you could have just done this, this and this and gotten there faster".

Background:

I've been leaving my gaming PC on for the better part of a year and every time it reboots the system maxes out with the mobo error code 00, and will not boot until I press and hold the power button followed by a quick press turning it back on. It's not even a cold boot I don't think, because I didn't think a restart was considered a cold boot. (I replaced the BIOS chip twice, first time after the computer wouldn't POST at all. Haven't messed with it since)

So I wanted to put a virtual copy of Windows 10 on my FreeNAS box and just TeamViewer into that box whenever I needed to fiddle with things on the local network. (Side Note: It's also great when you want to leave homework assignments up and just come back to them throughout the day, all the same tabs still pulled up from school computers)

I was using a VPN on my router, and after getting PFSense to replace my router, I switched to using a VPN on a Raspberry Pi. (another long story) Finally I gave up and decided TeamViewer was an easier solution for the time being.

But Why Charlie, Why are you telling us this?
I had a unusual amount of trouble getting Windows 8 to upgrade to Windows 10. (I don't have a copy of Win10 yet) The initial error I was getting was "CPU Not supported", and it wouldn't let me upgrade to 10 using the media creation tool. So I decided to do the install/upgrade on my Desktop PC using a newer/fuller version of VirtualBox (Not PHP). Update to 10 went through without any problems, I then went to export my windows 10 virtual system over to the PHP version on my FreeNAS box.

Queue the second error, it was something along the lines of "Windows10_64" not found. After some quick googling I found that if I were to change the hex/text using Notepad++ to say "Windows81_64" the upgrade would go through. (Use CTRL+F and search for Windows81_64) I read this has something to do with this older version of VirtualBox not having the Windows10 architecture installed, but that the windows81 was close enough.

IT WORKED.
Man oh man did it work. But WAIT it gets better. Before on all of my virtual boxes that I created and ran on FreeNAS the cursor was not calibrated. It was slightly off and to click buttons in the corner took some serious finagling. After exporting the file over to FreeNAS from the newer version it works PERFECTLY.

I mean, it's like the planets aligned and the IT gods threw E5's out of the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.