Virtualbox freeze guest OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

I have installed Virtualbox in a jail. In this jail I have put a virtual machine (Ubuntu).
My VM has 1 GB RAM and 12 MB Memory.
If I connect to the virtual machine with VNC (from Virtual box parameters I choose a port and a password), after a moment (sometimes 5 sometimes 10 minutes), my guest will be stuck.
A top on the host (not in the jail but directly in the freenas) will tell me that a VBoxHeadless proces will use one core at 100% (12.5 % CPU) (even if the virtual machine has 2 virtual cores, only one core is at 100%).
The virtual machines additions have been installed but it didn't change anything. Using teamviewer to control the virtual machine seems to work correctly.
It seems that if I don't use the VNC my VM will not be stuck (after 24H).

Is there a way to solve it?

Also, I have seen that the last template for virtualbox is the 4.3.12. Is it correct?
At the moment, when I update the jail, PHPvirtualbox doesn't work anymore.

Thank you
Marc

D

dlavigne

Have you tried increasing the memory in the VM? Most OS's want at least 4GB.

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

More RAM didn't help. I will make a test with 2GB memory and more video RAM (256 MB as it is the maximum).
Perhaps the problem is with the video ram?
The requirement for Ubuntu were 512 MB and 1024 recommended. That is why I tried 1024
I will report when I have more information.

Thank you for your time
Marc

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

I send this message to tell you that I didn't have a crash anymore at the moment.
I will tell you later (in one week) if I crashed again.

EDIT : My VM has been stuck while deleting some jobs with Pyload (a top on Freenas says that VBoxheadless is at 50%) and the virtual machine doesn't respond to anything.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.