USB TV capture device passthough for Jails running VirtualBox 4.3.12 under FreeNAS-9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navlida

Cadet
Over the past few days, i have been trying to setup a virtualbox jail with a mythbuntu installation. I have been able to setup mythbuntu within the virtual hdd using another machine running virtualbox (Didn't know that VNC was a thing that could be used), but when i was using the secondary machine, i was able to pass though my TV tuner though virtualbox. Since getting the virtual hdd to boot within a freenas jail, i have not been able to pass though my tuner as i had done previously.

I have tried using guides such as this (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...sthrough-usb-device-to-virtualbox-jail.22102/), and this (https://code.google.com/p/nas4free-extensions/wiki/VirtualBox_USB), but i am unable to see my device within virtualbox's web interface.

Im not sure if these guides are outdated, I am incompetent (Very possible), or if they straight up didn't work at all. Can someone please assist me.

Thanks.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Not too sure this is going to work... Perhaps this can be accomplished with a real hypervisor (ESXi), but not thinking so for VirtualBox inside of FreeNas.

Here is a similar thread on the matter: Virtual Box - Build question

Navlida

Cadet
Not too sure this is going to work... Perhaps this can be accomplished with a real hypervisor (ESXi), but not thinking so for VirtualBox inside of FreeNas.

Here is a similar thread on the matter: Virtual Box - Build question

Thanks Mirfster,

I have no dout that a type-1 hypervisor will be able to pass though a usb (or pci-e device), but i'm not too comfortable running freenas on the same machine as a guest OS in case the system is unable to gether S.M.A.R.T. data.

Mirfster

If you are talking about running FreeNas as a VM inside of ESXi, then I would agree. While I do have an instance of FreeNas running as a VM in ESXi, it is only for testing/experimenting. My real FreeNas is its own physical server.

What I am was suggesting is that you run Ubuntu/Mythbuntu as a VM in ESXi instead. Then you can passthrough the device.

I may have missed interpreted your original question since you mention an USB TV Capture device and I went off thinking about a PCI-E device. By chance, are you able to passthough a standard USB stick as a test?

Navlida

Cadet
If you are talking about running FreeNas as a VM inside of ESXi, then I would agree. While I do have an instance of FreeNas running as a VM in ESXi, it is only for testing/experimenting. My real FreeNas is its own physical server.

What I am was suggesting is that you run Ubuntu/Mythbuntu as a VM in ESXi instead. Then you can passthrough the device.

I may have missed interpreted your original question since you mention an USB TV Capture device and I went off thinking about a PCI-E device. By chance, are you able to passthough a standard USB stick as a test?

I am unable to mount a USB Flash drive to a virtual machine either. How exactly am i to run ESXi within FreeNAS? From what i am reading, its an OS based hyper-visor (type-1)?

Mirfster

I am unable to mount a USB Flash drive to a virtual machine either. How exactly am i to run ESXi within FreeNAS? From what i am reading, its an OS based hyper-visor (type-1)?

Sorry, if I was unclear. To run ESXi, it would require its own hardware/server and not be on the same box that you have FreeNas on.

When I get a little time, I will give connecting a USB device to a Virtual Machine in FreeNas a whirl using the links you referenced. In the meantime, others may comment and provide information.

Status
Not open for further replies.