Hardware in a VM (TV Capture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys... Wondering if someone can give some advice.
I'd like to integrate a TV Capture card in my FreeNAS build.
I've got a couple PCIe HD tuner cards but may move to a USB capture device...
Question is, how do Virtual Machines pull the hardware? do I have to assign hardware to the virtual machine, is it automatically shared, or is this something that im not going to be doing with FreeNAS?
I had attempted this with ZoneMinder and a BNC capture care for my video cameras... but I think the capture card doesn't play well with Linux/ZoneMinder... (it didn't work in a purely built Ubuntu rig in testing)

Probably going to have a difficult time unless the FreeBSD driver is available for the card. You would be better off scrapping the BNC card and using IP cam's with FreeNAS.

Plus if the card doesn't play well with Linux it likely will just be a mystery in FreeBSD.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
A VM (as opposed to a jail) is a different case, though. If the card can be successfully passed through to the VM client, and that client has functioning drivers for it, and nothing else gets in the way... it could work.

@nightshade00013 I think you misunderstood what I was asking... or only read the end. I am not trying to get the BNC capture card to work... It was something I had worked on in the past and never got to work... and as I indicated, I believe because it is not supported in linux. My issue is how to get a TV capture card to pass through to a VM... for receiving HD over the air TV broadcasts. And wether or not it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.