Very slow write, slow read with Linux client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nid

Cadet
I am retiring my my D-Link DNS-323 box, then I came across FreeNAS. Just got it installed today and I am booting from USB key.

Everything went really well. I am having some minor problem.

I have a computer with dual-boot (Win 7 and Linux Mint 14 MATE). When I am booting on to Linux, my write speed have gone down to about 8MB/s and read speed sometime got up to 30MB/s. But when I am booting up to Win7 my write went up to around 75-90MB/s and read went up to 110-125MB/s.

My test fies were two ISO files.

The PC is:

Asus Crosshair IV formula with AMD 6X 1090T
16GB of RAM
Onboard Marvell 8059 Gigabit LAN controller

Gigabit router and switches. Jumbo frames enabled

My NAS is:

FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
Atheros AR8131M PCI-E GbLAN controller
12238MB of RAM

Running ZFS single drive at the moment. Sharing via CIFS/SMB. The drive is Seagate pipeline d st2000vm002. I did tried RAID0 and RAIDZ, did not notice any significant improvement. So I went back to single drive for trouble shooting purposes.

Since I am using the same hardware just different OS, maybe there is something I need to do on my Linux side. I know my NAS is okay when I am booting to WIN7, FreeNAS was really fast right out of the box without me even try to tuning it.

Where do I start? Your help and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Nid

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will tell you I have a Linux Box running Mint 13 and I get better speeds on it than I do in my Windows 7 machine that is far faster in every way. If you are dual booting Linux and Windows and using that weird setup where Linux runs inside the Windows 7 partition that may be your problem.

Create a RAMDRIVE on your Linux machine and copy stuff to and from it and the FreeNAS server to rule out your disk speeds. Other than that, I have no other advice or ideas to try. It's important to find the bottleneck at this point...

Nid

Cadet
Cyberjock, Win7 and Linux are on different partition. /home of my Linux is on diferent hdd altogether. At any rate, prior to check your replied I made another partition and installed LM 13 Cinnamon.

LM 13 Cinnamon read 35MB/s, write 30MB/s
LM 14 Mate read 30MB/s, write 8MB/s
W7 Pro read 110+ MB/s, write 110+ MB/s

LM 13 using Nautilus while LM - MATE is using Caja file manager. I have to looking to it, got to be how they handle CIFS/SMB.

I most likely to keep LM 13 since it is a LTS

Thanks,
Nid

*edit* By the way, I think I may have posted in the wrong sub-forums as I don't think this is a Networking issue. I am almost maxing out my Gbits LAN. Please feel free to move it to the approriate sub-forum if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.