Using the GUI to upgrade from 9.10.2 to 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Contributor
Is it possible to upgrade from 9.10.2 to 11 via the gui by switching trains?

So I'd have to backup my config, switch trains and install, then import my config?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes.
So I'd have to backup my config, switch trains and install, then import my config?
No. Backup config (just for safety), switch trains, check for updates, apply pending updates. The update process updates your existing config file.

D

dlavigne

Yup: save your config, switch trains, check for updates and apply them. You shouldn't have to restore your config (but never hurts to have a saved copy). It will upgrade into a different boot environment so if there is an issue with the upgrade you can reboot into the old install.

JoeB

Contributor
Thanks guys.
My main reason for upgrade is because i need to run a VM with ubuntu server + GUI or similar so I can use cloud storage for disaster recovery.
I'm planning on using BackBlaze B2 as Crashplan has discontinued home user accounts and i only have about 250G of data that i'm concerned about (photos / videos).
The other 8T can be lost without tears as its only media (movies/mp3s) and lets face it, it can all be downloaded on demand now from Deezer or Netflix anyway so it's just cyber-hording anyway :D:D

So can I use VirtualBox (or another VM provider free) with Freenas 11 ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So can I use VirtualBox (or another VM provider free) with Freenas 11 ?
You can't use VirtualBox, but FN11 does support VMs. See the manual for more information.

Evertb1

Guru

One tip in advance. If you do this update you will be confronted with a warning from the Alert System. You don't need to be worried about that. It's about new available feature flags for your ZFS volume(s). Just read the warning and the referred section of the User Guide.

JoeB

Contributor
Thanks all. I not have v11 running, and i have created a VM. I have VNC'ed in to the VM and can see a shell prompt. Is there a guide anywhere that explains how to install ubuntu into the VM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.