Using Shell or MC to manage file permissions

geoffwhere

Contributor
I have a problem with one of my Shares which has been preventing me from accessing the files on FreeNAS via my Windows desktop.
It appears that the files have been accidentally (due to my lack of Linux knowledge) blocked from access. I suspect this happened when I was trying to map the share from Windows and couldn't log in to the FreeNAS Share, possibly because I didn't know what I was doing with the 'Recursive' flag when trying to reset access passwords, etc.
I've been able to luck my way through the beginnings of MC to view the directories and files, but I don't know how to make changes to the permissions, if that's what's preventing me from accessing them.
MC shows the folder permissions as drwxr-xr-x and the files as d---------. Also, one of the files has an 'Owner 1004' rather than root/wheel which the other files are set to.
Looks like I've really screwed things and would appreciate some help with Shell or another Tool, if that's what's causing my problem - In Windows File Explorer the Share shows as 'Empty folder', yet MC shows the files seem to still be in there, but apparently with the above permission types.
Is it possible to step me through what's needed to fix these files and folders?
As a complete novice I'd need step by step instructions and explanations of what I'm doing and what to look out for. Thanks in advance if this is doable.