SOLVED User Authentication after AD name change

We have a FreeNAS 9.10-stable virtual machine that has been running for a few years now, with no issues. However, we encountered one that has me scratching my head.

It's joined to our Active Directory. We have permissions wide open - if you're a valid domain user, you can connect. However, we recently had a user that has changed their name fail to connect, and it seems to be a caching issue of some kind.

The fun part for me is that when I check on another server that has Samba set up, it works fine for that user. So, it seems to be this user on this server only.

Symptoms:
When user logs into Windows, login script should map drive. It fails silently. When user tries to click on that drive, they receive a '(server) is not accessible' message, with the error message shown as 'The user name could not be found'.

Logging into that server, I try 'wbinfo -i (username)', and see the result fully populated with the older username.

We saw this 2 months ago, and were able to fix it for a while by removing the cache files at /var/db/system/samba4.

However - when I use wbinfo -i (username) on several other Samba servers, it returns the correct results.

The main difference I see between the FreeNAS setup and the others I've done, is that FreeNAS uses 'rid' and I've used 'autorid'. I don't know if this would make much of a difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated - I've configured multiple Samba servers in my time, so I don't think I'm doing something stupidly obvious; but it wouldn't be the first time either.

This is currently a production system, so I'm not able to restart services at random, and a complete rebuild isn't happening in the short term.

Thanks!

No resolution so far - this post was because I've run out of smart ideas, gone through the 'well, lets try this' ideas, and not yet willing to do the 'hey, watch what happens when I do this!' ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

Final fix - Windows cached credentials, which someone I work with assured me that they had checked.