AD: pam_ldap (Strong(er) authentication required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

menziesii

Cadet
I have successfully bound a FreeNAS system to our AD infrastructure but I'm running into an issue with pam_ldap, nss_ldap, and other commands like id to show user info.

Our DCs require signed ldap connections, and on our RedHat systems, we usually solve this with Samba/Winbind by adding client sasl wrapping = seal to smb.conf. I've added that as a supplemental parameter for CIFS, but we're still encountering errors such as the following:

Code:
sshd[7951]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind (Strong(er) authentication required)
cron[7981]: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
id: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
smbd[6287]: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable

wbinfo suggests everything is okay:

Code:
# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret for domain AD via RPC calls succeeded

Code:
# wbinfo -u
user1_name
user2_name
etc...

Code:
# wbinfo -g
group one
group two
etc...

running queries with ldapsearch using kerberos auth works, klist shows correct ticket information.

Build is FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64 (dc0c46b)
98248MB RAM

Any ideas on this one?

menziesii

Cadet
Just to add:

service ix-pam start
service ix-nsswitch start

don't return any errors, but querying those services suggests they aren't running. However, I'm not sure if the rc.d service files actually have a facility for returning a status to begin with, just looking through the service script quickly.

As expected, getent user1_name doesn't return anything, and logs a message in /var/log/messages suggesting the ldap server is unavailable.

menziesii

Cadet
Thanks, I've been pounding my head against a wall on this one.

That sure looks like the same issue. Our DCs allow non SSL/TLS connections, but if so, integrity checking has to be on.

It's odd, as ldap signing in samba should solve the issue as far as I can tell, and I can verify with testparm that it is active as an additional parameter. In addition, the typical ldap client cli tools have no problem searching the directory with the bind provided.

D

dlavigne

It's odd, as ldap signing in samba should solve the issue as far as I can tell, and I can verify with testparm that it is active as an additional parameter. In addition, the typical ldap client cli tools have no problem searching the directory with the bind provided.

That would be useful info to add to that bug as a comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.