Use freenas in a single hd environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper

Cadet
Hi all.

I've read that you cannot install freenas on a single hd, or better, you can't use the same hd for the OS and Data.

Now my question is why... I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVLc437Dgk and I have tested on my own virtual env and it works... so why it shouldn't be possible to install it on the same hd?

I want to install it on the same hd because of I have a nas (crappy) that I would like to turn on into a freenas device, so basically my question is: do you think it's possible to install freenas on a nas?

Thanks for your time.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi all.

I've read that you cannot install freenas on a single hd, or better, you can't use the same hd for the OS and Data.

Now my question is why... I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVLc437Dgk and I have tested on my own virtual env and it works... so why it shouldn't be possible to install it on the same hd?

I want to install it on the same hd because of I have a nas (crappy) that I would like to turn on into a freenas device, so basically my question is: do you think it's possible to install freenas on a nas?

Thanks for your time.

Not possible with FreeNAS 8. That video is for FreeNAS 0.7

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS installation uses all 4 partition table slots during installation. At that point you can no longer add more partitions. Because of the way FreeNAS is setup and used you also can't resize the partitions to store your data.

With extensive modifications to the system, it may be possible to get it to work, but you'd likely never be able to upgrade the system.

Bottom line, FreeNAS was designed to use USB for the boot device and other devices to store data. You'd be trying to redesign FreeNAS to get it to suit your needs which likely wouldn't work too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.