Freenas install on usb HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha

Cadet
Hey
I have made an attempt to create a NAS server of my usb hd
First I put the iso on a USB flash drive on my own PC , then did a reboot and also connected to the USB HDD.
The USB stick has freenas successfully installed on the USB HDD
Then remove the USB flash drive and rebooted with the usb hd boot drive
The freenas was started and configured.
If the ip address was the IP of my PC?!
Then the USB HDD connected to my asus rt- ac68u but the disc format is not recognized and it couldn make connection

What am I doing wrong or is it impossible to turn freenas on a USB HDD on router ?

gpsguy

You can't run FreeNAS on your Asus router.

From your Asus manual - "The wireless router works with most USB HDDs/Flash disks (up to 2TB size) and supports read-write access for FAT16, FAT32, EXT2, EXT3, and NTFS".

Forget about FreeNAS. Format your USB HDD using one of the formats above and attach it to your router and follow the directions in your Asus router as to how to use it.

FreeNAS requires a server with at least 8GB of RAM to run it. When you installed it on your pc and got the IP address of your computer, FreeNAS thought this was the "server" you were planning to use. See the documentation for hardware requirements - http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_intro.html#hardware-recommendations

Gotcha

Cadet
Alright, thanks very much for the answer
Some guys from asus said it could be done but never explained how, now I know i just have to buy a NAS and not try this sort of things

gpsguy

Gotcha

Cadet
Just tried freenas and asked around there: its unpossible on any router
So I have buy a NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.