I am new. Below is my setup:

Fractal Node Case 304
Celeron G1820
H97 ASRock m-ITX
8GB (2x4) Mushkin Blackline
Transcend 128GB OS
3TB (3 x 1.5) Seagate Barracude
5TB USB3 External Seagate

For the most part everything seems to work. However, there is something weird.

I am moving my files (2.5TB) from my RAID array to my 5TB external drive which is connected to the NAS box.
I setup a windows share on the array and a windows share on the external. I am on win8.1. I see both of the shares and then I just copy/pasted the files. Initially the speeds are up to 70MB/s and everything seems fine. Then the speed slowly goes down to 0MB/s and sits there for several seconds and works its way back up to 70MB/s and then the cycle repeats. So it will take about a day for the files to copy over and I have to babysit it. because my network connection from my win8.1 machine timed out once and after disabling/enabling it I was able to start the copy process over again.

1. Why is this happening?
2. Is there an other/easier/better way to copy files on the FreeNAS box?

Thank you

movieman03

Dabbler

movieman03

Dabbler
No.

When I copy files to my external now, it will slow down to 10MB/s and then back up to 40MB/s...averages around 20MB/s. The only thing I did was reboot my machine. Keep in mind This only happened when I copied 2.5TB of files at once to the attached external drive. I don't move that much data very often, so it's not much of a bother...but I did expect better RAID array to external USB3 performance.

gpsguy

You might want to check the reviews for your drive on Newegg, etc. A number of users - have similar issues with that drive.

Sent from my phone

movieman03

Dabbler
I did some more testing. Using 2 files 10GB total. I am accessing my FreeNas with a windows 8.1 machine and setup shares for the RAID array and the external 5TB drive attached to my FreeNas.

Ext 5TB USB 3 is on my FreeNas
RAID array is on my FreeNas

If I copy from Ext to windows machine its about 30MB/s
If I copy from Ext to RAID array its about 30MB/s
If I copy from RAID to windows machine its about 105MB/s
If I copy from RAID to Ext it fluctuates between 0MB/s and 60MB/s
If I copy from windows machine to Ext it fluctuates between 0MB/s and 35MB/s
If I copy from windows machine to RAID its about 105MB/s

I have another USB 3 external I can use to test some more. I did not have any problems in pure windows environment with my Ext drive though. I am thinking it is a USB3 driver issue with FreeNas.

movieman03

Dabbler
I will add, that I am not too disappointed. The ext 5TB is only a temporary solution until I get bigger drives for my RAID array. I am looking to upgrade those drives by summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.