Unble to copy big files

Janus_006

Cadet
Hi,

I'm curently builind a storage solution for home. I decided to try FreeNAS. After beeing able to install, setup and configure everything, I started to copy my file from temporary storage to my FreeNAS. Very surprised, I got poor copy performances. During the transfer, the copy seems to stuck on big files, loosing connection and have to restart/retry the copy. Windiws estimated speed fall from 110Mb/s to 0 and keep doing nothing and ..... error ..

I read on the forum to see that many user explain this issue by a Realteck OnBoard network adapter. ok ... I bought, with advise of many on this forum, an Intel network adapter (fully compatible as I can read)

And now, same issue :( Unable to copy file bigger than 1gig.

I tried to disable compression (maybe the NAs was unable to handle copy speed with compression...) Same issue...

Here is my setup, maybe you can help me solve this issue before changing the solution, maybe for a basic linux with cifs configured ...

FreeNAS-11.2-U5 (just upgraded... maybe)
Gigabyte/ GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 / AMD Fx6300
16 Gb RAM
DATA: 3x WD WD30EZRZ RAIDZ
Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help

D

dlavigne

Anything in /var/log/messages when the copy fails? Which share type or protocol are you using to perform the copy (rsync, ftp, replication, something else)?

Janus_006

Cadet
No error in /var/log/messages (Nothing at all...)
The copy is a basic copy from a local file to the NAS from windows explorer
During the copy, after something like 1 gig, the transfert rate drop to 0 and I finally receive the error ""0x8007003B: Network error"
Restart / Ignore / Cancel

And it's not Window related, I have the same behavior from a Linux machine

During the copy, after something like 1 gig, the transfert rate drop to 0 and I finally receive the error ""0x8007003B: Network error"
What kind of switch do you have? Do you have speed or (more importantly) duplex forced on anywhere? This sounds like ethernet problems to me. It could be config, NIC port, cable, or switch port.

Janus_006

Cadet
I curently have a stupid NetGear. Tonight, will replace it by a Cisco 2970. I am not convinced but I will try...

I curently have a stupid NetGear. Tonight, will replace it by a Cisco 2970. I am not convinced but I will try...
Before you get too carried away, try the simple things. Have you replaced the patch cord? Have you tried a different switch port? Checking to see if duplex is forced on is REALLY IMPORTANT! That can cause all kinds of catastrophic network problems.

Janus_006

Cadet
I tried from a different port/cable/room. Same issue.

As the NetGear switch is unmanagable, I cannot modify Speed/Duplex config
But as I can see from FreeNAs box, it's 1000/Full
ifconfig give:
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>

media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>
That means it is correctly negotiating speed and duplex, so that isn't it. I don't know how practical this would be, but you could try connecting a test PC directly to the FreeNAS. That would require static IP address assignment on both sides, but it would allow you to remove the switch from the equation. Intel NIC's tend to be the best supported gigabit adapters for FreeBSD/FreeNAS. My FreeNAS boxes (and a lot of others on the forum) are using the i350 based adapters. A quick glance on eBay shows those can be had used for ~=$20. The Realtek ones are bad news as has been widely documented. Just curious, but did you disable the motherboard NIC in the motherboard BIOS? I don't know if that would help, but it would certainly be prudent if you aren't going to use it. One way or another, you are going to have to change components one at a time until you determine which one is causing the issue. :-(

Janus_006

Cadet
I saw the infos about the Realtek... This is why i bouth and install a new Intel adapter.
And yes, I disabled the OnBoard Realtek in the BIOS.
Tonight, I will try with a Cisco switch, back-to-back- connection. And if it not solve the issue, I thnk I will have to change of solution, unfortunately.

By the way, thanks for your help

Janus_006

Cadet
Thanks for your help.

I tested network, switch, etc.. Same issue. I'm sad to tell, but I finally decided to try another storage solution. No issue and working fine. Bonus, with my new Intel adapter, and my realtek now supported, I can create a bond.

Sorry, FreeNAS seemed a good solution