CIFS - Network speed is much higher if i copy 2 files at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

morskipas

Cadet
Hi everybody,

i have 1 question.
If i copy 1 file, maybe 1GB, to my CIFS share, i have ca. 5MB/sec. But if i copy 2 files or more (all are large files) at the same time. (That means, mark the first file and start to copy and than mark the second file and start to copy and so on) i have a network speed of ca. 50-80 MB/sec.
How can this be? :confused:

I copy the files from my win7 to freenas 8, zfs raid-z1 and i have giga bit network.

Any ideas

thx a lot
morskipas

what hardware are you running. how is your array built. how are you measuring the speed, (taskmgr or the file copy window)

what model is the motherboard? Are you sure you're seeing the instantaneous speed and not the average speed with your network tool?

morskipas

Cadet
what model is the motherboard? Are you sure you're seeing the instantaneous speed and not the average speed with your network tool?

i use a ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Board

Yes i think so, on the screenshot you can see what speed values the tool can measure

networx.JPG

that's very weird. i tried the tool on my win7 box and it seemed to function properly. hardware wise i don't see anything that would tip me off.

if you only copy 1 file and let the entire file copy, does it stay at 5 MB/s?

if you copy 1, then start the second, then kill the second, does it drop back to 5 MB/s or stay at a decent speed.

can you ssh into your box and then run the 'top' command to show the processes that are using the most CPU time and do the test again, let me know what if anything shoots to the top.

morskipas

Cadet
that's very weird. i tried the tool on my win7 box and it seemed to function properly. hardware wise i don't see anything that would tip me off.

if you only copy 1 file and let the entire file copy, does it stay at 5 MB/s?

if you copy 1, then start the second, then kill the second, does it drop back to 5 MB/s or stay at a decent speed.

can you ssh into your box and then run the 'top' command to show the processes that are using the most CPU time and do the test again, let me know what if anything shoots to the top.

yes, if i only copy 1 file, maybe 1 GB, the whole copy process i have only 5MB/s
If i start to copy the 1st (1 GB) file (now i have 5 MB/s) and than i start to copy the 2nd (500 MB) file, if have now 50-80 MB/s.
But now i can see on the progress bar, that now also be copied the first file faster. If the second file is done, the speed goes to 5 MB/s

i will send the top processes a little bit later

thx for you interest and support

morskipas

Status
Not open for further replies.