USB installation problems of 11.1-U5 & 11.2-BETA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

apogeee

Cadet
Hello community,

I am new to FreeNAS as I am trying to set up my own NAS with the spare hardware: Pentium G3420, 12GB DDR3, Asus P85M-E, Corsair 600W PSU, Crucial 64GB SSD and one spare 500GB Seagate hard drive.

This system will be used for data storage, BT downloading and VPN purposes. My plan is to set it up and have a go with the FreeNAS system, if everything goes smoothly, I will buy some brand new WD RED NAS hard drives for the system.

However, I spent most of the Sunday, but not even close to completing the system installation.

Here are the details:

I downloaded the FreeNAS iso 11.1-U5 and 11.2-BETA2 from the official site __ http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/. Found the useful links: http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#preparing-the-media.

When preparing the USB installing media:
Problem 1.
With windows USB/DVD Download Tool, neither iso file is supported as detailed

jt4fhe.jpg

Then I used Rufus 3.1.1320, but encountered the following problems.

Problem 2.
I first tried 11.2-BETA2, and I cleaned the USB stick.
2n700uv.jpg

Started the process, but there is no option for me to choose the DD Image or Create a bootable disk using option. The only pop out dialogue window is asking me if I am sure all data on this USB device will be destroyed.
16m1vrb.jpg

Problem 2.1
At the end of writing, the USB stick looks empty and I am not able to create a new simple volume or any other operation. I thought it might be the data on the USB stick is not recognised by windows.
2nitdlv.jpg
65y77l.jpg

But the USB stick is not recognised by the target machine either.

nd0evq.jpg

Problem 2.2
I found with the Rufus 3.1.1320, the DD image can be selected by disabling the default ISO Support.
35mllc5.jpg

I tried, but no difference with the 11.2-BETA2.

Problem 3.
Then I came to 11.1-U5. When creating the boot USB with Rufus, I did have the option of ISO image and DD image. I used two separate USB sticks to create both.

Problem 3.1
2agm4ir.jpg

With the ISO image, which should not work according to the help links that I found earlier, I saw the GNU GRUB for the first time. Looks promising~

fdg48g.jpg

However, as expected I had same problems as in this link (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/new-to-freenas-installation.68679/#post-471017) with the error 19. This error persisted no matter I disconnect the mouse or all the hard drives and SSD.
2mnorvr.jpg
2qcdswl.jpg

Problem 3.2
Then I turned to the DD image option on a second USB stick.
23m5w79.jpg

When Rufus finished copying the iso, I noticed the difference between the two USB sticks.

11j26aw.jpg

But on the target machine, I did not see the GNU GRUB selection menu again, instead I end up with the USB boot stick unrecognised.

2ls7ktj.jpg

According to the problems experienced in this link (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/new-to-freenas-installation.68679/#post-471017), with the DD image option the installation should be a smooth experience, but apparently not for me here.

Any further suggestions? Or is it only writing it to a CD can save me?
Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Have you tried to disable secure boot on your machine?

apogeee

Cadet
Have you tried to disable secure boot on your machine?

I tried to config the secure boot from "windows UEFI" to "other OS", then the installation started!

But still have the "Ugen0.2: <Logitech USB Optical Mouse> at usbus 0" and "Ugen0.2: <Logitech USB Optical Mouse> at usbus 0 (disconnected)" problem as following:
24dreqc.jpg

kdragon75

Wizard
Is that a problem? that's just console output over the installer. If its causing issues, unplug it. there is no reason to have a mouse on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.