USB Flash drive selection recommendation

boris_lee

Dabbler
Many people ,including myself, prefer to install FreeNAS on a USB flash drive ,to save internal HDD drive slots,and in the former version doing this is quite OK,as it treat the boot media as almost read-only,
But in FreeNAS 9.3+ the boot drive was switched from UFS to ZFS,so it writes to the boot media a lot more
and the offical documentations says
  • when using a USB stick, it is recommended to use a name brand USB stick as ZFS will quickly find errors on cheap, not well made sticks.

but nowaday almost all the USB flash drives on the market are based on the TLC(Triple-Level-Cell) Flash chips.
This kind of flash chip is cheap and wear out very fast(most of 'em can only be rewritten(P/E) for about 300-500 times )

So, besides using 2 or more drives for a mirrored syspool(Though TLC flash drives is very cheap and affordable for a mirrored configuration,I really don't want to worry about a 'DEGRADED' syspool all day long),Is there any USB flash drive models recommended?

I've tested most famous brands in local market - Sandisk,Lexar,Kingston,Toshiba and PNY,all of 'em are TLC.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Mirror San disk cruiser fits. Those are recommended around here.

boris_lee

Dabbler
Mirror San disk cruiser fits. Those are recommended around here.
Thx alot.but all the Sandisk USB flash drives(about 40 models in local market) are named Cruzer,
most of'em cost about $5 at 16GB,only differs in form factor,which model is better?

20150930_130611_1.jpg

20150930_130730_1.jpg

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Cruzer *FIT* is the one we recommend.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

NAStard

Dabbler
How much space can eventually be used on the freenas-boot volume?
I think zfs list indicates mine is 551 MB
Why is 16 GB recommended?
Thx!
:D

boris_lee

Dabbler
How much space can eventually be used on the freenas-boot volume?
I think zfs list indicates mine is 551 MB
Why is 16 GB recommended?
Thx!
:D

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#compact-or-usb-flash
When determining the type and size of device to install the operating system to, keep the following points in mind:

• thebareminimum size is 4GB. This provides room for the operating system and two boot environments. Since each update creates a boot environment, therecommendedminimum is at least 8GB or 16GB as this provides room for more boot environments.

Besides, In flash drives there's a mechanism called wear-leveling,so bigger the driver,the longer the write life..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh, FIT is the model,I get it..In my local market It's branded "cool beans"
If you don't mind the question, in what market did the crazies (sorry, marketing people) come up with that name?

wreedps

Patron
Cruzer *FIT* is the one we recommend.

I bought these for a new Freenas build, worked and fit perfect in a Supermicro board. I got 2 for like 6.99

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I bought these for a new Freenas build, worked and fit perfect in a Supermicro board. I got 2 for like 6.99
All of our standard recommendations (WD reds, Sandisk Cruzer Fits, Supermicro X10's, etc.) have become our standard recommendations for very good reasons, sir :)

You can't go wrong if you listen to what any of the top 15 most active guys in the forum recommend :)

wreedps

Patron
I have been, thank you for all your info and time you guys put into FreeNas Forums.

MindBender

Explorer
Besides, In flash drives there's a mechanism called wear-leveling,so bigger the driver,the longer the write life..
That is, unfortunately, a misconception. The flash translation layer (FTL) in NAND flash based storage device does indeed level the wear evenly across the NAND flash device (or a section of it), but larger devices don't make for a longer life.

The main reason is that the controller reserves a percentage of the NAND flash device capacity for wear-leveling (and bad-block replacement). This percentage is determined by the flash drive OEM, usually based on the properties of the actual NAND flash device, but more than often just guessed. This percentage largely determines the life span of the drive. Eventually the reserved blocks are all used to map out bad and worn blocks and the device will start producing I/O errors and/or corrupting your data. Drives with a larger percentage will last longer. So will devices with devices with a larger capacity and with the same erase block size and with the same number of erase cycles, but those just don't exist. Controllers with multiple NAND flash chips (or multiple planes within a chip) don't wear-level across chips or planes. Many controllers don't even wear-level across a whole chip, but just across small sections of it. So that doesn't help either.

I tend to say that larger flash drivers wear down quicker than small ones, mostly because they have higher density NAND flash device with (much) larger erase blocks. And high density NAND flash device erase blocks often have (far) fewer erase cycles on them before they wear out. Where erase blocks could once be erased up to 50.000 times in old devices, in modern high density devices this number can be as low as 100.

Also note that the controller is not aware of what area of the flash drive is in use and what area is empty. It just makes its capacity, eg 16GB, available to the user and that area is what it tries to keep working flawlessly. It has no understanding of the file system you put on it, let alone which areas are allocated ('in use') and which are not ('empty').

Despite the vast amount of USB flash drives (and SD-Cards) offered on the market, there is only a hand full of manufacturer of the controller on it. SMI is the largest and the cheapest, Phison and Hyperstone are much better, but more expensive. The controller largely determines the reliability of the drive, but unfortunately 'reliability' isn't a sales argument. Reliability is assumed, even though many drives aren't reliable at all. What is a sales argument is 'speed'. Unfortunately, speed if often gained at the cost of reliability. And to make things worse, the brand name drive you buy today, is very unlikely to have the same NAND flash device, controller or firmware inside it than the identical one you bought last month.

An exception could be SanDisk. SanDisk rolls their own controller, their own firmware and their own NAND flash. And because they do everything themselves, they have better understanding of all these three critical components, allowing them to make more reliable drives (and SD-Cards). From all devices and all controllers I have tested, all SanDisk devices were very reliable and pretty darn power-fail robust. They weren't the best, but they were the best from the non-exotic ones. Unfortunately SanDisk did not want to make any agreement to keep reliability at that level. They didn't tell us, but we assumed they wanted to reserve the right to make their devices faster, at the cost of power-fail robustness. Having said that, they are still pretty damn good, and still the only devices I buy.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
That is, unfortunately, a misconception. The flash translation layer (FTL) in NAND flash based storage device does indeed level the wear evenly across the NAND flash device (or a section of it), but larger devices don't make for a longer life.

The main reason is that the controller reserves a percentage of the NAND flash device capacity for wear-leveling (and bad-block replacement). This percentage is determined by the flash drive OEM, usually based on the properties of the actual NAND flash device, but more than often just guessed. This percentage largely determines the life span of the drive. Eventually the reserved blocks are all used to map out bad and worn blocks and the device will start producing I/O errors and/or corrupting your data. Drives with a larger percentage will last longer. So will devices with devices with a larger capacity and with the same erase block size and with the same number of erase cycles, but those just don't exist. Controllers with multiple NAND flash chips (or multiple planes within a chip) don't wear-level across chips or planes. Many controllers don't even wear-level across a whole chip, but just across small sections of it. So that doesn't help either.

I tend to say that larger flash drivers wear down quicker than small ones, mostly because they have higher density NAND flash device with (much) larger erase blocks. And high density NAND flash device erase blocks often have (far) fewer erase cycles on them before they wear out. Where erase blocks could once be erased up to 50.000 times in old devices, in modern high density devices this number can be as low as 100.

Also note that the controller is not aware of what area of the flash drive is in use and what area is empty. It just makes its capacity, eg 16GB, available to the user and that area is what it tries to keep working flawlessly. It has no understanding of the file system you put on it, let alone which areas are allocated ('in use') and which are not ('empty').

Despite the vast amount of USB flash drives (and SD-Cards) offered on the market, there is only a hand full of manufacturer of the controller on it. SMI is the largest and the cheapest, Phison and Hyperstone are much better, but more expensive. The controller largely determines the reliability of the drive, but unfortunately 'reliability' isn't a sales argument. Reliability is assumed, even though many drives aren't reliable at all. What is a sales argument is 'speed'. Unfortunately, speed if often gained at the cost of reliability. And to make things worse, the brand name drive you buy today, is very unlikely to have the same NAND flash device, controller or firmware inside it than the identical one you bought last month.

An exception could be SanDisk. SanDisk rolls their own controller, their own firmware and their own NAND flash. And because they do everything themselves, they have better understanding of all these three critical components, allowing them to make more reliable drives (and SD-Cards). From all devices and all controllers I have tested, all SanDisk devices were very reliable and pretty darn power-fail robust. They weren't the best, but they were the best from the non-exotic ones. Unfortunately SanDisk did not want to make any agreement to keep reliability at that level. They didn't tell us, but we assumed they wanted to reserve the right to make their devices faster, at the cost of power-fail robustness. Having said that, they are still pretty damn good, and still the only devices I buy.
OK, the new Dutch guy's post, on USB thumb drive NAND flash engineering, has my vote for Best Post for October 2015(edit from 2016), and the month is young.

Last edited:

MindBender

Explorer
OK, the new Dutch guy's post, on USB thumb drive NAND flash engineering, has my vote for Best Post for October 2015(edit from 2016), and the month is young.
I humbly bow my head and thank you for your kind compliment and the 'likes' I have received from all you guys :).

Oh, and BTW; If you're looking for a very reliable industrial grade USB flash drive, go for a SwissBit device, but expect to pay accordingly, $133 for an 8GB version and only $166 for a 16GB version. Yes, USD that is:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SFU28192E3BP2TO-I-QT-121-STD/1052-1181-ND/4805951
http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...1-STD/SFU216GBE1BP2MT-C-QT-131-STD-ND/4805944
But they do everything right. They use SLC NAND flash, a proven controller, keep a controlled Bill Of Materials and create a new part number if anything changes.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Ouch is an understatement at that price.
Plus, digikey is a hell of an odd place to buy a thumb drive. If I want a capacitor and a 555 timer, then sure, digikey. But a thumb drive?

MindBender

Explorer
Plus, digikey is a hell of an odd place to buy a thumb drive. If I want a capacitor and a 555 timer, then sure, digikey. But a thumb drive?
If it were a regular run-of-the-mill consumer grade USB thumb drive, yes. But SwissBit products are used as critical components in embedded systems or industrial installations, so DigiKey isn't such a strange supplier. I have searched everywhere to find them and DigiKey, Mouser and Farnell are really the only places that carry them.
Sourcing reference versions of consumer products is always a problem. When developing a product with a USB host port, this port must be validated, both in electronic signal integrity, as well as in software functionality. Getting a certified cables of all required lengths is still feasible. But getting a USB device suitable as a reference is a nightmare. And you really don't want to validate your product using shady consumer grade reference devices...