High endurance USB flash drives used as boot device(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
I am using mirrored USB flash drives in my new NAS, as opposed to a small MLC SSD in my last build, for the OS install. I am currently using 2 x Kingston DataTraveler 8GB USB 2.0 flash drives, but I was thinking it might be smart to go with a higher reliability drive, even though they are mirrored. I am looking at the following USB drives because they use SLC NAND memory, which I understand has the highest endurance between SLC, MLC, and TLC NAND.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8E03GA0825

I am wondering if this is the best solution, though, as I can probably get 2 similarly sized TLC SSD's for the same price.

So my questions are:

Do you think it is worth it to go with some SLC NAND high endurance USB flash drives?
Should I just stick with a single SSD for the boot device? (Corsair Nova Series 2 30GB MLC NAND)
How hard is it to replace a USB drive in a mirrored setup if one fails?
Do you think 8GB drives are enough for a single dataset array?

Stux

MVP
I wouldn't trust no-name SLC USB drive over a sandisk.

It's easy to replace a failed USB, it's in the manual and the GUI.

svtkobra7

Patron
Why the change to USB from an MLC SSD in your last build? That seems like a step backward to me.

To answer questions 1 & 4 (partially): Let me share my approach:
  • Literally, for the same price as that USB drive, I purchased 2 Intel 320 Series SSDs - 40 GB off ebay.
  • Granted they are used, SATA II and not SATA III, but compared to that USB, much faster.
  • Enterprise grade drive made by a manufacturer that caters to the enterprise market space.
  • Of course I burned them properly prior to putting them in service as mirrored boot drives.
  • Cheap, sufficient, and done.
I'd stick with your single SSD (v. mirrored USB - don't get me wrong, I think mirrored is smart though) and save the money for a couple cases of beer

NB: Hopefully my perspective is of some help.

Stux

MVP
Of course I burned them properly prior to putting them in service as mirrored boot drives.

You burned in an SSD with badblocks?

svtkobra7

Patron
You burned in an SSD with badblocks?
  • LOL at myself ... the way I wrote that, "burned them properly," invokes an image of SSDs dancing around a bonfire.
  • I meant "tested them properly."
  • I literally was just looking at the status of the last 4 HDDs that I'm currently burning in.
  • Badblocks has burned itself into my brain (think old school CRT) after waiting days to complete on 6TB drives and three "batches."
Good eye. Thanks.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I agree with sentiment here, seems like a step backwards going from SSD to USB drives (even if they are mirrored).

Cost is no longer a valid argument in my mind. Now if you are short on SATA ports, that IS a valid reason in my mind.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
Why the change to USB from an MLC SSD in your last build? That seems like a step backward to me.

To answer questions 1 & 4 (partially): Let me share my approach:
  • Literally, for the same price as that USB drive, I purchased 2 Intel 320 Series SSDs - 40 GB off ebay.
  • Granted they are used, SATA II and not SATA III, but compared to that USB, much faster.
  • Enterprise grade drive made by a manufacturer that caters to the enterprise market space.
  • Of course I burned them properly prior to putting them in service as mirrored boot drives.
  • Cheap, sufficient, and done.
I'd stick with your single SSD (v. mirrored USB - don't get me wrong, I think mirrored is smart though) and save the money for a couple cases of beer

NB: Hopefully my perspective is of some help.

The only reason I was going with USB vs SSD is that my NAS server, which is a Dell PowerEdge T320, cannot boot off of the SAS backplane with the H310 HBA flashed to IT mode. In this case, I have to either use the SATA ports on the motherboard or USB. The problem with using the SATA ports is that there is no place inside the case to mount the SSD.

Since eBay was running a $15 off $75 deal today, I just bought 2 x 40GB Intel 320 SSD's and this hot swap bay:

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=196

I will feel better running this than USB drives...I just don't trust USB drives for some irrational reason. The motherboard only has 2 SATA ports, but if I need to use the other 2 hot swap 2.5" bays for some reason, I will just buy a PCIe SATA controller, I guess.

melloa

Wizard
The problem with using the SATA ports is that there is no place inside the case to mount the SSD.

There is always a way. I did on a 2950. Had to wire a power connector long enough to reach the back of the chassis but was a good project.

svtkobra7

Patron
The problem with using the SATA ports is that there is no place inside the case to mount the SSD.
  • Had I known your constraints, I would have recommended a SATADOM, which is the route I would have gone if I didn't have any mount points for another drive.
  • I almost went this route, but didn't think the value proposition was solid enough to warrant the cost (and as noted I had room).
I just bought 2 x 40GB Intel 320 SSD's
  • I genuinely do not think you can go wrong with this approach.
I will feel better running this than USB drives...I just don't trust USB drives for some irrational reason.
  • It isn't irrational. They fail (more often than a SSD would).

pschatz100

Guru
There is no question that SSD's are more reliable than USB Flash drives. I think mirrored SSD's are a bit of overkill, however. But if you have the SATA ports to spare, then OK.

The key thing to remember is that you should make periodic backups of your FreeNAS configuration. That way, if you ever need to do a fresh install then you will be able to restore your system easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.