USB Drive Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabster

Explorer
Hi Gang -

So I have trouble installing the freeNAS installer on a USB drive (documentation 2.2.3). I followed the instructions and:

1. Downloaded the freeNAS 9.10 ISO file
2. Installed the Win32 Disk Manager
3. Used the “browse” button to browse to the location of the .iso file (here I had to switch the file extension search option from Disk Images (*.img*.IMG) to *.* so I can see my .iso file.
4. Selected my brand new 16Gb USB drive from the device and hit Write

Win32 Disk Manager gave me a successful write, but when I tried to open the USB drive to see what's written in there, windows tells me that I need to format the drive before I can use it.

All the tutorials online seem to be referring to a .img freeNAS download. My only option was to download an .iso file.

confused. Please help.
thanks!

g

gabster

Explorer
Thanks for the reply @pirateghost . I am just trying to copy the freeNAS installer on a USB drive per the instructions in the documentation. I just tried to see if I can see install files in there.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to copy the freeNAS installer on a USB drive per the instructions in the documentation. I just tried to see if I can see install files in there.
It should be a bootable USB now. Just boot to it.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

nojohnny101

Wizard
@gabster
Like others have said here, just stick it in your box and boot it. It is a bootable drive, and even after I create mine with mac OS X, the system says it's unrecognizable and prompts me to format it.

Ignore that and start installing!

gabster

Explorer
Thanks guys! Finally I am receiving the case today and will actually be able to install. Can't wait!
Stupid question: after installation, I can safely remove the USB drive, right?

thanks!
g

danb35

Hall of Famer
after installation, I can safely remove the USB drive, right?
Correct, and you should do so. At that point, FreeNAS would be installed to a second USB stick or other flash device, and that's what you'll boot from going forward.

gabster

Explorer
Thanks @danb35 - so I do need two USB drives plugged in? I might have missed the obvious, but none of the video tutorials mentioned that (tek syndicate, etc.).
thanks again!
g

danb35

Hall of Famer
Way back in the olden days (i.e., pre-FreeNAS 9.3), you could simply write an image of the FreeNAS OS to a USB stick and boot from that. FreeNAS 9.3 put a ZFS pool on the boot device, bring many improvements, but with them, the need to to an actual installation of the system. The manual provides detailed instructions. Any video tutorial other than an official one from iXSystems is suspect, doubly so if it's more than about a year old.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yes you need two "devices".

So you should have the installer on a USB drive and then another device that FreeNAS installs to. This second device could be another USB or an SSD, however you have things setup.

gabster

Explorer
Got it @danb35 Thanks!
Makes sense @nojohnny101 - thanks. Would make sense to install it on a SSD internally since the USB drive is always in danger of being knocked out of its socket by somebody.
Maybe that's when duct-tape comes in handy.

nojohnny101

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
The main reason that an SSD makes sense is that they're just a lot more reliable than USB sticks, and now small SSDs are cheap enough that they're viable as a boot device, as long as you have a SATA port to spare.

gabster

Explorer
All 5 SATAs are taken up unfortunately on my motherboard. Thought of the SSD would be more reliable indeed.
Thanks for the link @nojohnny101 - does it matter if it's only USB 2.0? Would a USP 3 be more performant?

thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would a USP 3 be more performant?
There isn't really any significant difference in performance between USB2 and USB3 with FreeNAS, other than when you're doing updates. Otherwise, the bulk of the OS is loaded into RAM on boot.

gabster

Explorer
Ok, so I have the machine all put together, seems to be working fine - I have access to the BIOS, etc. But I can't seem to be able to boot from the USB.
I feel like I did something wrong. According to the manual at 2.2 "To perform an installation, download the .iso file and write it to either a CD or a USB stick"

Do they mean that that .iso IS the installer, and I should boot from that USB on the machine I want to install freeNAS?
Or is there an intermediary step where after downloading the .iso, I will have to "burning the installation file to a USB stick" using the Win32DiskImager?
I do understand that once I have the installer on the USB stick, I need a secondary one stuck in the machine where it'll actually be installed to.

I am missing something very obvious I am sure. But I've read about 3 times through that manual chapter and I don't seem to be having any luck. I also have a Mac and I was planning on preparing the installation USB there and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for you patience with me. Know that it doesn't go unnoticed. :smile:

cheers!
Gabi

Status
Not open for further replies.