panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0xcc7c33c0 from unknown :0

Nater

Cadet
Hey guys,

My very first experience with FreeNAS is not going well. Downloaded Win32 Disk Imager and the ISO, to a Sandisk 32GB USB stick.

Booted to this screen and it stops:

error.jpg

System specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 OC@3.2Ghz
Asus Maximus Formula X38 mainboard
8GB of ram (4x2GB@800Mhz)
Radeon HD6970
LG 34GK950F on mini-displayport
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD
3x1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 (1 Samsung & 2 WD) on the Intel Matrix Storage whatever
Basic Dell USB kb connect directly to rear panel
Logitech MX518 mouse USB pass-thru on the monitor.

I've tried 3 different USB sticks (although all the same model) and tried making the bootdisk on 3 different computers. Even tried RUFUS, and it threw an error at the end of the write.

What am I doing wrong here? I've never really had any problems with this hardware save for the OCZ Vertex drive.

Thanks,

Nathan

D

dlavigne

Did you check the checksum of the downloaded file?
Is the BIOS at its latest version?
Have you tried plugging into a different USB port? Are the ports USB2 or 3?

Nater

Cadet
Did you check the checksum of the downloaded file?
Is the BIOS at its latest version?
Have you tried plugging into a different USB port? Are the ports USB2 or 3?
1. No. How? That part was skipped over on the idiot guide YouTube video? I see it's available for download on the same page as the ISO, and I noticed it in the Win32 Disk Imager, but I don't know the process/what to look for.

2. Not sure, will check tonight. It's a nearly 10 year old board, and I just stopped using it last year, so I can't imagine there's been many updates since.

3. Yes, 3.0, 2.0, 1.1(?), front panel, rear, 2 desktops & 1 laptop. I have a different 16GB Sandisk USB stick I was gonna try to as a last resort, but it has my Win10 install on it.

Nater

Cadet
I started here.

No mention of GPT boot requirement. :( Is it implied somewhere in one of the other requirements that I'm not aware of?

Would have saved me a few evenings pulling my hair out. This kind of thing was the exact reason I didn't invest hours reading documentation. lol. *facepalm* I was under the impression from what I've heard that FreeNAS was "easy". I just wanted to try the software to see how it worked, and see if it was worth investing in. It's already way too convoluted for me. Why does it boot to that screen if it can't boot from a GPT partition? As an outsider looking in that makes zero sense. It can't boot from GPT, but it just did, and then stopped. Huh? I made a Windows 10 USB bootable on a GPT partition to test, and when it tries to boot if gives me a big error message along the likes of "HEY RETARD, YOUR SYSTEM CAN'T BOOT FROM A GPT PARTITION"