Upload via HTTP Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whattteva

Wizard
Not sure if you got what I said. I'm giving you a suggestion to go with SFTP that's built-in to SSH service instead. Other than a different port, there is no noticeable difference to the end-user (it works and behaves exactly the same way normal FTP would in FileZilla and WinSCP).
It will probably save you time and headache than trying to go the TLS checkbox on the FTP service.

underw3b

Dabbler
Ok i think i understood what you said, the thing is that i need to access to my server from any computer without a ftp client or any sofware installed. I can do it with FTP protocol thanks to file explorer. But can i access SSH service without any specific software ? For instance with file explorer ?

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't have a Windows box handy with me, but you can probably just use
Code:
sftp://username@hostname:port/
instead of
Code:
ftp://username@hostname:port/
on file explorer to check if it supports it or not.

Robert Smith

Patron
... need to access to my server from any computer without a ftp client or any sof[t]ware installed...

The requirement of no additional software limits you to Microsoft technologies available in the particular versions of Windows your clients use. Look into IPSec and maybe RDP.

Be careful with RDP as it is not very secure out-of-the-box and requires careful configuration settings to harden against hackers.

IPSec, unfortunately, is not the easiest to configure, but if you have to do it, you have to do it.

underw3b

Dabbler
I can acces to my secure ftp (TLS) with a ftp client but i cannot with file explorer.

I have this error in windows : windows cannot acces the file. Check the name of the file is correct or if you are allowed to access the folder.

Anyone can tell me why ? Windows doesn't even ask me for my password or username.

underw3b

Dabbler
Ok i've just found out the solution : file explorer does not support sftp/ssh and ftps protocol. Too bad... only ftp protocol is supported.

Sum up : If you're using windows and file explorer

ftps://yo.our.ip.com won't work

sftp://yo.our.ip.com won't work

ftp://yo.our.ip.com = ok

Whattteva

Wizard
Not that surprising actually. FTP is an incredibly simple protocol while the other more secure protocols require quite a fair bit more effort to implement.

FreeNASBob

Patron
The wisdom around these forums is that FreeNAS should not be directly connected to the Internet. Many users who need remote access to their NAS find that virtual private network (VPN) of some sort is a workable solution.

Any router supported by third party firmware, such as DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT, and others will function as a VPN server. If you're not used to all the technical terms and concepts related to setting up a server, the learning curve might be a little steep. I love having my router as a VPN provider because even my Android phone funnels all traffic through my VPN. I can use open WiFi hotspots anywhere without worrying about leaking private data, and Verizon can't snoop my Web habits. Oh yeah, and I can access all the machines on my LAN as if I was plugged in to the router directly.

Whattteva

Wizard
Any router supported by third party firmware, such as DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT, and others will function as a VPN server. If you're not used to all the technical terms and concepts related to setting up a server, the learning curve might be a little steep. I love having my router as a VPN provider because even my Android phone funnels all traffic through my VPN. I can use open WiFi hotspots anywhere without worrying about leaking private data, and Verizon can't snoop my Web habits. Oh yeah, and I can access all the machines on my LAN as if I was plugged in to the router directly.
I'm sure you already know this, but just to clarify so other people don't get a false sense of security out of misunderstanding.
Your data may be safe from Verizon or whatever public WiFi you're connecting from, but between your VPN and the final destination (wherever that location may be), it's still exposed to the internet just like everything else. Your ISP certainly can still snoop on your web habits unless you use Tor or another VPN service out of your home.

FreeNASBob

Patron
I'm sure you already know this, but just to clarify so other people don't get a false sense of security out of misunderstanding.
Your data may be safe from Verizon or whatever public WiFi you're connecting from, but between your VPN and the final destination (wherever that location may be), it's still exposed to the internet just like everything else. Your ISP certainly can still snoop on your web habits unless you use Tor or another VPN service out of your home.
That's true. You can also purchase a VPN plan from a VPN provider for fairly cheap and that will protect you from your ISP as well. It has the nice side effect of bypassing the common practice of ISPs throttling competing television services like Netflix. I know Tomato works, and I believe the others will function as both a VPN client and server simultaneously.

Robert Smith

Patron
Also, verify that the router firmware has the version of OpenSSL free of the Heartbleed vulnerability.

underw3b

Dabbler
Can i use my freenas as a VPN server ?

How does that work ? I will be able to connect in FTP with file explorer with a secure access ?

Last edited:

FreeNASBob

Patron
Can i use my freenas as a VPN server ?
I haven't investigated this, but as FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD I don't see why you couldn't set up OpenVPN. It would be a manual process I imagine, and if you're not familiar with installing software on a BSD or Linux-style machine from the command line it might be a challenge.

How does that work ? I will be able to connect in FTP with file explorer with a secure access ?
If you connected by VPN to the network with the FreeNAS, you could access it in the same way you access it when you are physically connected to the network. A VPN is simply a 'tunnel' across the Internet, allowing the Internet to act as a really long Ethernet cable to your network. All data is encrypted while traveling across the Internet so it's secure from prying eyes.

underw3b

Dabbler
ok thx ;)

I'll try to install openVPN but as you said, it will be a challenge for me in command line !

underw3b

Dabbler
Too bad that there is no openVPN plugin for freenas. I won't be able to make it with command line. Does anyone know the next new plugin that freenas will be supported ?

Status
Not open for further replies.