Upload via HTTP Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

underw3b

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

First, i'm sorry for my english i will try to do my best (i'm french).

Second, i've found out FREENAS a few weeks ago and it's perfect. I made my own server for 0 euros ^^ just with old computers.

Everything works fine, i can access to my server from any computer via FTP or HTTP protocol.

But, not all computers have a FTP client (like filezilla).

So my question is simple : how can i transfer a file to my server from my browser ?

I have access to my server this way : ftp://nas*****.no-ip.org. It works fine but i can only download and not upload (from my browser of course, i can upload but only with filezilla).

Thx for your answers.

underw3b

Dabbler
@Robert Smith : What is file explorer ? I mean on another computer and another network (not mine) How can i transfer a file to my server from file explorer if i'm not at home.

@pirateghost : it's not http protocole but ftp protocol through the web browser. In firefox : ftp://freenas*****.no-ip.org Then i can see all my files on my server, i just click on the one to download it through my browser.

Last edited:

underw3b

Dabbler
Ok i just tried it works fine ^^ why make things so complicated when it's so simple ? thx again Robert Smith

Whattteva

Wizard
Might want to start by ditching FTP. That protocol is like the dinosaur of protocols. Your login credentials are transferred in the clear.

underw3b

Dabbler
@Robert Smith : do you have any advice for me to protect my NAS ?

@Whattteva : i tried to switch on TLS when i configured my server in freenas administration but it doesn't work. When i turn it on, FTP service doesn't want to start anymore. Any ideas why ? Then when i want to access to my ftp i have to put :

ftpes://nas*****no-ip.org

am i right ?

D

dlavigne

Please paste the relevant errors in /var/log/messages for when you try to start the FTP service with TLS enabled.

underw3b

Dabbler
Sep 8 20:03:13 freenas notifier: proftpd not running?
Sep 8 20:03:13 freenas notifier: Starting proftpd.
Sep 8 20:03:13 freenas notifier: freenas.local proftpd[49642]: Fatal: TLSRSACertificateFile: '/etc/ssl/freenas/proftpd/proftpd.crt' does not exist on line 50 of '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Sep 8 20:03:13 freenas root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Sep 8 20:03:13 freenas notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd

D

dlavigne

Did you paste the cert and key into the "Certificate and private key" box?

Robert Smith

Patron
@Robert Smith : do you have any advice for me to protect my NAS ?

Network security is a complex subject and a constantly moving target.

The wisdom around these forums is that FreeNAS should not be directly connected to the Internet. Many users who need remote access to their NAS find that virtual private network (VPN) of some sort is a workable solution.

There are other ways to do it, but VPN is a catch-all solution that lets you pipe vulnerable network connections through an encrypted channel.

underw3b

Dabbler
ok thx !

For the moment, i tried to setup a secure ftp with TLS but it doesn't work. I don't know how to configure it. Anyone have any tutorial for me ?

Whattteva

Wizard
Not a clue, I've never used the FTP service like that. I didn't even know that TLS checkbox was there till you mentioned it.
The route I use instead, is SSH as it has SFTP functions built-in to it so you could probably use that instead and it'll probably be easier (at least for me anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.