FTP using No-IP service

Status
Not open for further replies.

neto_hugo

Explorer
Folks,

I'm almost giving up for the protocol FTP in FreeNAS.

I have the following equips: modem TP-Link TD-8817 (in bridge mode) with a TP-Link router WD1043ND.
Using my local network (home network), using Filezilla I have full access to the FTP.

But I would like to use this protocol using a dynamic IP service like “No-Ip.com” to access my FreeNAS from outside (i.e. I have a filial office in other city, and I would like to get my files from my home)

So I did a simulation: this router has a USB port and within their utilities could be done: share storage, media server and FTP. So, I forwarded the port 2222 and stuck a flash drive in, and was ready, check this out:

I'm having full access to my flash drive using a “internal” FTP.

I thought, "must be an internal protocol of this router, you enough simply placing any port, and enter the ip : port on the browser and… that’s it", so I did another simulation.

I decided to open any port on the router for my notebook and see if everything it is ok. I opened the port 2121 (TCP and UDP) to the ip 192.168.0.102 (this is my notebook ip). Look:

Well, then I thought, "now instead of putting the ip 192.168.0.102 I set the 192.168.0.107 which is where I access my FreeNAS" and I forward port 21212 for this:

Well, on my FreeNAS my FTP setup is like this:

*(The instructions are in Portuguese, but the purpose is to show what is on and how it is configured)...

I couldn’t test access by Filezilla outside my network. But I couldn’t access my server using my local network.

When I get into Filezilla and put only the ip 192.168.0.107:21212 I have full access, but when I put my no-ip (example.no-ip.org) domain, no chance!!!

The log message in Filezilla is:
Error: The connection time limit exceeded
Error: Could not connect to server

Before, I believed that I couldn’t unlock the ports, now I don’t have that certainty, I starting believe I’m setting something wrong in FreeNAS.

Could you help me with this? What could I be doing wrong?
Need a lot of help from you guys, ok?

Note:

- Using the build: FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x64 (10351)
- Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p6
- Hostname: freenas.local
- Services: CIFS, Dynamic DNS, FTP, SSH, TFTPT active, the rest all off.
- FreeNAS log:

Apr 14 20:41:26 freenas ntpd[1625]: ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)
Apr 14 20:41:27 freenas proftpd[1813]: 127.0.0.1 - ProFTPD 1.3.3e (maint) (built Wed Feb 29 2012 00:21:12 UTC) standalone mode STARTUP
Apr 14 20:41:31 freenas INADYN[1950]: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Apr 14 20:41:31 freenas INADYN[1950]: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 0)

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi neto_hugo,

I can't help you through all of this, but I can point out a couple of quick things.

1) Your permissions on your storage, ownership etc. having nothing to do with your connection.

2)

When I get into Filezilla and put only the ip 192.168.0.107:21212 I have full access, but when I put my no-ip (example.no-ip.org) domain, no chance!!!

This is why:

Apr 14 20:41:31 freenas INADYN[1950]: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Apr 14 20:41:31 freenas INADYN[1950]: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 0)

FreeNAS is not able to update your IP address at no-ip.com. Can you check your settings/password etc. for DDNS in FreeNAS?
Also, login to the no-ip.com website and see what it shows for your IP.

Do you have a DNS server setup on FreeNAS, maybe it's unable to connect to no-ip.com?

Can you ping no-ip.com from FreeNAS?

Look at your router to see what your external IP address is, then instead of trying to connect with your no-ip domain name, use that IP address to try and connect for testing.

neto_hugo

Explorer
Thanks for your reply protosd,

Hi neto_hugo,

FreeNAS is not able to update your IP address at no-ip.com. Can you check your settings/password etc. for DDNS in FreeNAS?

There's something wrong with this? When I write the password and click on save, the FreeNAS saved but when I click again on DDNS setup the password local re-appears blanked.

Also, login to the no-ip.com website and see what it shows for your IP.

Shows my current IP: 200.146.xx x.xx

Can you ping no-ip.com from FreeNAS?

Well, from FreeNAS i dont know how i can do this, sorry about this :P!! Can you explain, please, how to? But on windows i think is right:

Look at your router to see what your external IP address is, then instead of trying to connect with your no-ip domain name, use that IP address to try and connect for testing.

No success buddy !!! The IP Adress and Default Gateway are the same, and obvious, are the same that no-ip.com shows. With these Ip's the same error occurred on Filezilla. I tried both DNS Server IP's and showed the same error on Filezilla...

Some other clue?

And on my router the DDNS service is set:

I think it's right, isn't?

Thanks a million

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi neto_hugo,

Dumb question, but why not just have the router update your IP address? If I'm understanding things correctly the important mapping is your custom FQDN to your outside IP address. The router should then just take any traffic coming through to your outside IP on your specified port and pass that through to the filer's ftp server.

-Will

neto_hugo

Explorer
Hi neto_hugo,

Dumb question, but why not just have the router update your IP address? If I'm understanding things correctly the important mapping is your custom FQDN to your outside IP address. The router should then just take any traffic coming through to your outside IP on your specified port and pass that through to the filer's ftp server.

-Will

Hi Will, thanks for your help!

Now it´s my dumb question. From what I understood from your post, I simply have configured my router in the service of no-ip.com, right? That is, may I turn off the DDNS sevice in FreeNAS to not generate conflict, and test the remote access by Filezilla, right?

I understand your comment right?

Be calm please, because certainly in subjects of FreeNAS, Networks, and protocols, in these forum there is no one so dumb like me. I guarantee :P

If yes, is still giving error

Thanks

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi neto_hugo,

I don't think we are quite understanding each other. Let me preface this with I don't actually use any of the dynamic DNS providers to help me access my systems from outside via ftp, but I do use one to provide a dns name that I can use to keep a VPN tunnel up between myself & a remote system. My router updates the dynamic dns provider for me. I'm not certain you need FreeNAS to do that as long as something is doing it.

First thing to do is to use something like "nslookup" on a windows windows box to make sure your outside IP is being updated with the dynamic dns provider.

Something you need to keep in mind about FTP....it is a pain to pass through a firewall.

FTP is an old protocol from way back in the days before everything was behind NAT's or firewalls so it's a little more liberal with how it uses ports. Take a look at this:

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

for an explanation.

FTP needs more than just port 21 forwarded to your FTP server....port 21 is just used for the initial communication, everything else happens on a "random high numbered port". So you might be doing everything perfectly on your FreeNAS box, but if you are just forwarding port 21 to it I don't think it's going to work. Take a look at your router's documentation and see if they have anything about an "ftp helper", "ftp proxy" or a FAQ online that explains how to configure FTP through your particular device.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.