Upgrading to FreeNAS8 questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

trry

Dabbler
Hello,
I haven't really done much to my FreeNAS server after setting up initially and to my surprise there is a new version out. I am currently running 0.7.1 and I would like to upgrade latest version which cannot use the upgrade function.

My questions is basically once I install the FreeNAS on the USB stick will it automatically detect the Harddrives or can I save my settings from 0.7.1 and load it up into the new software?

Also any guides on install on USB, its been such a long time since I did this.

Thanks!

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Upgrades are not supported...

But you may import the volumes fom 0.7...
Freenas 8 can deal with zfs, gmirror, graid3 and gstripe...

Durkatlon

Patron
Any particular reason why you want to upgrade? I am running a combination of 0.7.1 and 8.0.1 at home. The version 8 machines are new and I installed the new OS on them. However, the 0.7.1 boxes have been running great for over a year and I see no reason why I would want to upgrade them.

I certainly wouldn't upgrade the machine just because you can. Also, please understand that FreeNAS8 is not a new version of FreeNAS7. It is a completely new OS built from the ground up. At this point in time, it does not have the features and stability that FreeNAS7 has. It also has a very dodgy process for replacing dead drives at this point which has caused problems for quite a few people (just do a search and you'll see).

Just some stuff to keep in mind...

trry

Dabbler
Any particular reason why you want to upgrade? I am running a combination of 0.7.1 and 8.0.1 at home. The version 8 machines are new and I installed the new OS on them. However, the 0.7.1 boxes have been running great for over a year and I see no reason why I would want to upgrade them.

I certainly wouldn't upgrade the machine just because you can. Also, please understand that FreeNAS8 is not a new version of FreeNAS7. It is a completely new OS built from the ground up. At this point in time, it does not have the features and stability that FreeNAS7 has. It also has a very dodgy process for replacing dead drives at this point which has caused problems for quite a few people (just do a search and you'll see).

Just some stuff to keep in mind...

Yup, it seems I learned the hard way the FTP is not friendly to use at all. I was on it for for an hour trying to get people on but it did not work. I was force to use my old usb key with version 7 in it. I know version 7 has issue supporting new hardware. Will it have issues finding 3T HDDs?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.