How to upgrade from our current version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercJones

Cadet
Hi there, Our FreeNAS box is out of date, current version details are:

Version: 0.7.1 Shere (revision 5127)
OS Version: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p7 (revision 199506)

This is a production system, so am not sure of the best way to handle this. Can the system/packages simply be updated, or do i have to download and install a newer version?

This is a HVM, and is approx 700GB. I do actually have approx 800GB free on one of my logical volumes, so when I have more time I can make another virtual machine and install the latest version, and copy everything across, but am just wondering in the mean time if there is anything I can do?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS 0.7 is NOT the same as FreeNAS 8. I just posted an almost identical message about this to someone else. The forum guidelines tell you to see the NAS4Free forums for questions about FreeNAS versions prior to 8.0. Also, if you read the FreeNAS FAQ it will explain that there is no "upgrade" path from FreeNAS 0.7.x to FreeNAS 8.x nor will there ever be.

toddos

Contributor
Also, if you read the FreeNAS FAQ it will explain that there is no "upgrade" path from FreeNAS 0.7.x to FreeNAS 8.x nor will there ever be.

Just to be clear, your data is still safe. You can import a FreeNAS 7 zfs pool into FreeNAS 8 just fine. It's everything else about the system (file sharing, users, any customized software installations, etc) that will be lost. And that makes sense, as 8 is a completely different setup than 7.

As was pointed out, NAS4Free is the continuation of 7. If you like 7 and want to stay with a 7-like system but want to upgrade, go with NAS4Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.