Upgrading/Testing ReadyMedia (MiniDLNA 1.1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi again,

I managed to get ReadyMedia/MiniDLNA 1.1.0 running in a new jail..

Attachments

• newmini.png
    newmini.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 394
  • newmini1.png
    newmini1.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 359

hervon

Patron
Cool. Hope this becomes a plugin anytime soon.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What is your evaluation of this version of MiniDLNA over the 1.0.25 version? I suspect the answer is no but I'll ask, does automatic rescanning occur if you add a file?

Here is a list of changes from the current plug-in to version 1.1.0:
Code:
1.1.0 - Released 04-April-2013 --------------------------------
- Add support for other operating systems.
- Switch to autoconf from our handcrafted genconfig.sh.
- Add configuration option for UUID.
- Add configuration option to specify the user to run as.
- Add support for limiting a media dir to multiple media types.
- Force a rescan if we detect a new or missing media_dir entry.
- Fix crash caused by certain TiVo clients.
- Fix crash bug on video files with some ffmpeg library versions.
- Add support for TiVo MPEG-TS files.
- Add some logging and forking tweaks to work better with systemd.
- Validate or escape user input to prevent SQL injection.
- Add forced sorting support for Panasonic devices.

Yatti420

Wizard
I like to be on the latest version.. I can confirm it will work.. I'm playing music right now..

Anybody can do this aswell.. See http://www.freshports.org/net/minidlna

As always read the freenas non-pbi info for installation method.. It's not perfect yet... I will have to look into it more in the future.. I've just dropped some media in the tmp folder (within newjail) and have reconfigured config..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Once you have some time on it, and if you have streamed a few movies, if you wouldn't mind giving it a thumbs up or not it would be appreciated. Glad you pointed those links out for those who don't know better.

Yatti420

Wizard
I will let you know.. Just restarting.. I have double entries in the upnp listing for some reason..

xbmc4xbox 3.3.2 is the client..

Had some more changes in the config.. Forgot a friendly name.. Not sure if the double entries is my fault or not.. Streams fine.. Haven't tested pictures yet..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yea, I'm sure you had to manually configure everything but that is pretty easy once you figure it out :)

I'm currently evaluating Plex but to be honest, I think I just like MiniDLNA a bit more because I don't have to worry about transcoding issues, something I already ran across. All my files are in one format that is compatible with all my equipment and if I do get a file that is not compatible, well I re-encode it.

Yatti420

Wizard
I haven't had many issues.. The install takes care of the basics.. easy to get it up and running afterwards..

I've had issues with the db location / permissions and not properly updating.. Looks like double entries is fixed.. UPNP is disabled on my router.. I don't have it enabled due to security concerns..

One of the things I noticed in 1.0.25 is I couldn't set the upnp to stay in my source list for xbmc.. The "id" would change and break the link.. Hoping this upgrade will fix it..

I can test with
1 x windows pc with XBMC (wired gigabit)
1 x ubuntu pc with XBMC (wireless)
1 x xbmc4xbox3.3.2 original xbox (fast ethernet)
1 x windows 7 netbook with foobar (upnp add-on) / VLC (never worked for me).. (fast ethernet / wireless)

Yatti420

Wizard
Everything seems to be working fine.. I have both up side by side.. This can be disk intensive.. Auto scanning doesn't work.. Since inotify isn't in the freebsd kernel I guess this won't work.. There is a ticket on sourceforge for it.. There would have to be support added (to readymedia?) for compatible freebsd notifier? Smooth operations with 110 so far.. Everything seems to be functioning with upnp clients showing up right away on the xbox..

Code:
1.1.0 - Released 04-April-2013
--------------------------------
- Add support for other operating systems.
- Switch to autoconf from our handcrafted genconfig.sh.
- Add configuration option for UUID.
- Add configuration option to specify the user to run as.
- Add support for limiting a media dir to multiple media types.
- Force a rescan if we detect a new or missing media_dir entry.
- Fix crash caused by certain TiVo clients.
- Fix crash bug on video files with some ffmpeg library versions.
- Add support for TiVo MPEG-TS files.
- Add some logging and forking tweaks to work better with systemd.
- Add forced sorting support for Panasonic devices.

1.0.26 - Released 04-April-2013
- Fix compiling with ffmpeg 1.0.
- Fix a couple potential scanner crash bugs.
- Fix inotify parsing of new video symlinks.

1.0.25 - Released 13-July-2012
- Fix a couple crash bugs on malformed WAV files.
- Forcibly tweak the model number for Xbox360 clients, or they might ignore us.
- Enable all network interfaces by default if none were specified.
- Add flag to force downscaled thumbnails rather than using embedded ones.
- Add DirecTV client detection, and fix image resolution issue.
- Add support for the latest ffmpeg/libav library versions.
- Fix a potential crash on requests for a resize of a non-existent image.
- Make DeviceID checking more permissive for Sagem Radio.

Attachments

• minidlna110log.png
    minidlna110log.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 318
  • minidlnaweb.png
    minidlnaweb.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 310
  • screenshot000.bmp
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 306

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have built MiniDLNA 1.1.0 and it works fine. I was trying to get the rescan CLI to work but all it would do is delete the files.db and not do the rescan with an error stating MiniDLNA was already running. Well it did half of what it should do for the rescan option.

So I started looking at my own automatic scan fix code and made a minor change to lines 104 through 117:
Code:
# We must stop the minidlna service in the GUI first, then wait 10 seconds (probably overkill)
# and then kill the service.

service minidlna onestop
  sleep 10
  pkill minidlna

# We wait 10 seconds to allow the service lots of time to wrap up.

sleep 10

# And now to start up the service again.

service minidlna onestart
To:
Code:
# We must restart the minidlna service to force a rescan.

service minidlna onerestart

What I haven't been able to fix is the GUI indications when the script runs it will not tell you the plug-in is running even though it is running. I've been beating up code all day and still am perplexed. I thought that maybe I could delay starting the script for 5 minutes after the jail was started. I don't know how to do that since my knowledge is limited.

Once I figure this out I might get things to work properly.

Something else, libinotify is a replacement library for inotify. I don't know how to make this change when building MiniDLNA but it should fix the automatic rscanning if we could replace this library.

-Mark

Yatti420

Wizard
I had that idea about libnotify.. I tried installing libnotify but couldn't figure it out.. I haven't gone in-depth.. I'm having issues with my pictures it's not displaying in either version currently.. Probably paths that are set..

vadim

Cadet
I also intalled MiniDlna 1.1 using pkg add. Offical plugin version has a problem with MKV files. They are not shown in folders
Version 1.1 works fine with MKV files I've tested.
Please update version in plugin.

joeschmuck

Old Man
All my files are MKV, no problem using the official plugin. Not sure what the issue is with your setup but so long as you have it working somehow that is good.

Yatti420

Wizard
Is pictures working? I seem to have broken pictures somehow? My clients simply don't display an image - black screen.. I can browse folders etc..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is pictures working? I seem to have broken pictures somehow? My clients simply don't display an image - black screen.. I can browse folders etc..
Have you recently rebooted? I saw another issue with minidlna in a bug submission where some application wasn't running within the minidlna jail. Maybe restarting the jail (not the plugin) would help? And I assume all the shares are good still. Sometimes we overlook the silliest things like moving our photos. Do your clients display a listing of the pictures to select from?

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm not sure what the issues is with pictures currently.. Broken pipe reported in logging.. Disaplays lists of picutres etc no issues.. Just like it gets no data though when I select one.. Can you confirm pictures work for you?

Feature request is now assigned :) https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3210 - Would be nice to see this rolled into official plugins..

joeschmuck

Old Man
I will have to reload minidlna into a custom plugin. I'll try it tonight if the wife allows me some computer time. How many photos and nested are the folders? Mine are about three levels deep and I probably have a few thousand+ photos.

Yatti420

Wizard
I have alot of pictures with ridiculous lengths.. Certainly not optimal.. I sware I had pictures working.. In fact I know I did on another setup.. Not on 1.1.0..

I think MiniDLNA/ReadyMedia 1.1.0 is ready for Freenas other then the scanning issue.. Maybe a future release of MiniDLNA will allow for specific support of FreeBSD/FreeNAS if its not at this point now..

Just testing with a few pictures in new folders.. I have about 55,000 files for it to scan.. Music/Pictures/Videos combined..

Edit: The log shows not all files are getting scanned.. Some either have paths that are 2 long? Or issues with the file itself? I get alot of scanner errors "Unable to get information.."..

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you using the script? If so, disable it and try again. Maybe that is causing your problems. The autoscanning script just isn't playing well with this new jail setup in FreeNAS 9.1.

Yatti420

Wizard
I don't have it running.. MiniDLNA isn't liking something about serving my pictures.. Oddly its affecting both 1.0.25 and 1.10.. So it must of been something I've done.. I' might do a cleanup eventually to hopefully fix it.. Music/Videos have no issues with me..

Status
Not open for further replies.