Upgrading System

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshine

Dabbler
I've been following for quite some time peripherally and slowly learning mistakes with my build before any catastrophes thus far. My current build is an Asrock C2550d4i, 32gb ECC ram, 5x3tb RAIDZ.

Now...i've read cyberjock's thread of things not to do...and I've adapted accordingly. I think it's funny to read his responses to people who didn't listen and suffered problems. I also think a fair amount of those people may have not done so intentionally, but likely due to not having unlimited funds/resources to have the most optimal system specs.

With that said....I valued storage over redundancy and therefore used RAIDZ1 with 5 disks. Although I don't have any issues with that thus far, I'm getting increasingly more nervous about failures. I understand I cannot increase parity by adding another drive. My box only has 6 slots and so I now would like to convert to RAIDZ2 (4x3TB) after getting another disk. My questions are related to this process. Any help would be appreciated!

1. I know I must rebuild the entire system to get RAIDZ2. What is the best way to clone/replicate my entire zfs pool (including datasets, jails, and settings)? I've heard of people using CrashPlan, external HDDs, or another freenas box. I won't be able to get another freenas box thats for sure. Will CrashPlan work? If so, any tutorials?

2. Are there any tutorials/guides for this kind of "migration" or upgrade?

3. I dont have a backup of the freenas box (beyond snapshots) which are obviously stored on the freenas. What are the typical/optimal offsite backup methods for the freenas box?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
How much actual data will you need to move off? Are we talking your pool is 2TB full? Or 10TB full? How precious is the data? If the backup procedure crashes midstride, and you lose your data, how much will you cry?

moonshine

Dabbler
I have the data on another set of hard drives...I have about 4TB of data.

One method I came across was putting the 6th HD (new) in, replicating w/ ZFS send or replication the existing zpool to the new HD, destroying the original and the replicating again from the new one.

The last few steps are what confuse me. Even after replicating the original pool to the new HD, how do you setup a new raidz2 configuration?

I won't be happy losing the data as I have to copy it over again, but it wouldn't mean that I lost all the data permanently.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You setup the RAID-Z2 pool before replicating back ;)

moonshine

Dabbler
I think i'm just gonna restart......too much work and potential frack ups. I just installed the new HD. Do i have to do a complete fresh install of freenas?

Can i just detach the existing vol and make a new volume with the new disk? Do i have to delete the share's configuration when i do so?

moonshine

Dabbler
BiduleOhm,

i was actually reading your thread from May! I realized i didn't have an EXTRA HD, just the new one i was adding to the array...

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
What thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.