Upgrade i386 to 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tex2it

Cadet
I'm currently running version 8.3 32 bit, I would like to upgrade to 9.1 and switch to 64 bit. Is this as possible/advisable without a complete rebuild? Should I use the gui or the iso image? Will my config file work? What about the jail/plugins? Will they transfer over? Thanks in advance for the help.

D

dlavigne

Typically the only issue from switching from 32 to 64 is with the reporting graphs (search the forums for graphs). I'd suggest backing up your config as well as the contents of your jail and doing a fresh install. After installation, you can restore your config. Since 8.x apps are incompatible with 9.x apps, you will need to reinstall them anyways, so you may be better off creating a fresh jail, installing your apps, and restoring your app configs from your jail backup file.

Note that jails changed significantly from 8.x to 9.x so it is well worth while skimming through both the Plugins and the Jails chapters of the 9.x PDF on the FreeNAS download page. That way you can determine which install method best meets your needs regarding the software you plan to install.

tex2it

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, I'll go through the pdf. I just wanted to be sure the switch wouldn't be overly complex or completely destroy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.