How to Install Java 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nello

Patron
CrashPlan decided to upgrade my Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from 1.7 to 7.

I think that it installed the 32-bit version, based on these log entries:
Code:
Java Installed.
Unpacking remaining upgrade files
currentDir=/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/upgrade/1435813200470_344.1468472873812
120511 blocks
Removing existing app files...
Adding updated files...
32 bit version detected, using 32 bit electron.

How can I tell whether I have a 32- or 64-bit JRE?

If I have a 32-bit JRE, how do I upgrade it to 64-bit?

Thank you.

- nello

Code:
pkg info
Should give you a list of all installed packages. You will just have to research which package is installed with a little google fu to tell what version it is.

With that said however if it's working as intended I wouldn't go trying to change from a 32bit version to a 64bit version. It may just end up breaking things and causing who knows what to happen. If you REALLY have to change it then I would suggest creating a new jail and doing a test run before making changes on something that is working just fine as it is.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@nello I'm just noticing you multiple threads and it looks like you are fighting with crashplan again. I wanted to mention that I stopped using the Jail version of crashplan about a year ago because of all the headaches. I now run a linux vm on my desktop and mount my freenas server and backup from there. I don't want to discourage you from solving your problems but thought I should mention that I have given up running it on freebsd.

nello

Patron
@nello I'm just noticing you multiple threads and it looks like you are fighting with crashplan again.
Thanks for looking in on me. :)

I now run a linux vm on my desktop and mount my freenas server and backup from there.
I used to do something like that; I ran CrashPlan on my iMac and used FreeNAS (mounted via AFP) as the destination. There were two reasons that I moved CrashPlan off my iMac and onto FreeNAS.
  1. This configuration requires two computers; if either is unavailable then the backups won't run.
  2. I want to run backups from my laptops when they are connected to the internet and outside of my LAN; I didn't like the idea of my iMac being accessible from the internet and potentially at risk if a CrashPlan exploit were discovered.
So, I'm really trying to make FreeNAS work as a standalone CrashPlan server and Destination.

I've read about people dumping CrashPlan altogether and moving to another backup solution. I'd like to stick with a CrashPlan solution because I share my CrashPlan server as a Destination available to members of my family; I'd rather not change the client on their computers.

I've read about people running CrashPlan in a VM in a regular--not plugin--Jail. My understanding is that this will be simpler to implement with FreeNAS 10 because it will include bhyve.

Does it make sense to run CrashPlan in Jail VM on FreeNAS 10?

- nello

nello

Patron
... if it's working as intended I wouldn't go trying to change from a 32bit version to a 64bit version.

Thank you for this reminder. WHAT was I thinking?!? You are correct; I don't want to tempt fate.

- nello

MauricioU

Explorer
CrashPlan decided to upgrade my Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from 1.7 to 7.

I think that it installed the 32-bit version, based on these log entries:
Code:
Java Installed.
Unpacking remaining upgrade files
currentDir=/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/upgrade/1435813200470_344.1468472873812
120511 blocks
Removing existing app files...
Adding updated files...
32 bit version detected, using 32 bit electron.

How can I tell whether I have a 32- or 64-bit JRE?

If I have a 32-bit JRE, how do I upgrade it to 64-bit?

Thank you.

- nello

Were you ever able to figure out how to upgrade crashplan to 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.