Upgrade from 9.2.1.9 to 9.3 1x4GBUSB to 2x8GBUSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travanx

Explorer
Looking to upgrade from 9.2.1.9 that's currently running on a 1x4GB USB stick to 9.3.

What's the best way to upgrade to 2x8GB USB sticks? Fresh 9.3 install, it sees the 2 USB drives, and then import my config?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Pretty much.

travanx

Explorer
Is there any reason to get larger USB drives while I am in this process?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Bigger drives allow you to store more snapshots. Essentially, you can have more versions ready to roll back to.

It's hard to tell what the sweet spot will be, but 8GB is currently the OK level. 32GB is somewhat overkill.

travanx

Explorer
Ordered some 16GB drives on sale. Not exactly sure if I am in a great rush to upgrade my perfectly working system though.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I just did this same thing. Loaded 9.3 from the ISO onto the new thumb drive. Uploaded the config. Seems to be ok.

travanx

Explorer
Did you update anything after updating to 9.3? Like ZFS or Jails?

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I am holding off on the ZFS. I Should have held out on the jails as well. The "upgrade" button next to the jails were just begging me to push them. I am a fat guy so you know I don't have any self control. But the jails are not a deal breaker so, whatever. So far so good.

Couple things. I was told the upgrade to 9.3 works better from 9.2.1.9 . I see you are currently running 9.2.1.9 now. I was not so I did a double upgrade. Second off, make sure you download your configuration file and your volume keys to your desktop (windows or whatever) before the upgrade. But you may be able to skip this step if you are not stepping up to a different thumb drive and it is just a simple upgrade using the same drive. Pretty much a piece of cake.

I did have to boot back to 9.2.1.9 a few times to get my volume key to my jail volume that I don't ever remember making encrypted. FreeNAS reported it as a locked volume. But it taught me a bit about how keys work and kept my google skills honed. So I know reverting back is as simple as a thumb drive swap.

Another issue I ran into. FreeNAS was flashing yellow about the drivers for my M1015. As far as I know, there is no fix for the problem. I just unchecked the box so I can bury my head in the sand.

FreeNAS also flashed yellow wanting me to upgrade the ZFS pools. But you we have commitment issues about that. Unchecked those boxes too.

The Wizard sets up basic stuff and helps you set up pools. If you are starting a fresh machine it seems to be useful. For upgrades, it doesn't do much of anything so I just closed it. If you ever want it back, there is a button on the top bar of the GUI. That is cool so it is not gone forever.

I even got ambitious and installed Windows 7 in a virtual box jail. I have no idea what I am doing. Standby for a "I broke my server and hosed all my data" thread.

Go for it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What do you mean there's no fix? The fix is to flash the HBA to P16.

9C1 Newbee

Patron

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I think you misinterpreted that bug. The FreeNAS driver is version p16. The error message says that the firmware version of your HBA is something other than p16. Ericloewe's comment is to flash your HBA to version P16 to match the FreeNAS version. That fixes the error message as well as the actual reason you are getting the error in the first place.

9C1 Newbee

Patron

Scharbag

Guru
Hmmm, I am pretty sure that I will have to wait until I can test this fully before I commit to 9.3. 9.2.1.9 does what I need it to do and I run far too many virtual machines on it to have it not work for a while.

9.3 looks exciting, but I will probably wait...

9C1 Newbee

Patron
FWIW, I have been hammering windows 7 pretty hard. So far it has been good.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hate to break it to you but the entire 9.2.1.x series has used P16. The warning message in 9.3 should have always existed and people have lost their pools as a result (I have personally talked to two people on the phone just this week that lost their pools because of this). So if you don't take the warning seriously or think that 9.2.1.x is safer, your expectations are seriously misplaced.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I am taking is seriously. Not sure why I am just learning about this now. Glad I am not learning the hard way.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wasnt directed at you 9C1. :P

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Sorry for being so emotional. :D

travanx

Explorer
Even though the USB sticks I ordered are less than 30 miles away, they still haven't arrived. Was hoping to upgrade the system over the weekend. I think I want one of those M1015 cards.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
If you don't have enough sata ports, they are the thing to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.