Upgrade from 9.2.1.7->9.3 with no CD, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
Running a SuperMicro box with FN 9.2.1.7 that doesn't have a CD drive. This is my production server running a config that I would rather not have to reinstall.

I know, tall order -> Can someone outline (or point me to) an upgrade procedure/method that would minimize downtime and maximize safety?

Thanks for any assistance!

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
I saw that previously but thought that since I had a 9.2 version that it wouldn't be a safe way to accomplish the update due to the fact that 9.3 is such a major update. Is this not true? If so, outside of data backup are there precautions I should take into account before the update (e.g. disable all services??..).
Or is this type of update considered quite reliable and safe?

Thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Update to 9.2.1.9 then 9.3. Make sure to backup your configuration and you should also be using a 8GB flash drive or bigger for 9.3.

mjws00

Guru
The paranoid route would be. Backup the config. Update to 9.2.1.9. Pull the known good 9.2 system USB so you can fall back to that position if things go sideways. Mount the 9.3 install ISO via IPMI. Install 9.3 as usual. Upload your config. If everything works how you like. Stay on 9.3. But you have the option to return to your current state instantly if need be.

If I was feeling super paranoid. I'd also backup config. Pull the 9.2.1.7 USB. Clean 9.2.1.9 install on a different USB. Restore config. TEST. Then worry about 9.3. That way I can get back to 9.2.1.7. But I don't remember any real issues going from 9.2.1.7 to 9.2.1.9. There were a few security patches... nothing significant IIRC.

I've never had trouble with the in place upgrade. But I'm now a luddite who hasn't got the warm fuzzies from 9.3 for production.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
Thanks for everyone's input!

I'm figuring it does but just to be sure, does a config export from 9.2.1.9 import into 9.3 correctly?

mjws00

Guru
Yep. Works well.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Kind of important note though; if you use iSCSI, you may experience difficulty due to the switch in targets from istgt to CTL. ESXi for example really does not handle it well, it thinks all of your VMFS are now snapshots. Other filesystems might be more tolerant.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
"iSCSI, you may experience difficulty due to the switch in targets from istgt to CTL"​

Woah, this is a big deal as I am using iSCSI to a ESXI 5.5 head. Is there documentation about this? Is there a work around?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have found that if you completely unmount and detach the iscsi device from your ESXi host, then do the FreeNAS upgrade, then add the iscsi device back to your ESXi host then everything seems to work just fine.

There are other hacky workarounds, but they can potentially create new problems so they aren't recommended.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
"iSCSI, you may experience difficulty due to the switch in targets from istgt to CTL"​

Woah, this is a big deal as I am using iSCSI to a ESXI 5.5 head. Is there documentation about this? Is there a work around?

Here's the FreeNAS bug report:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/7252

And a VMware KB article:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1011387

It's an unavoidable thing with ESXi as the LUN ID changes when the target does. Whether you detach first or resignature, you basically are looking at having to re-import all of the VMs.

You might (keyword - might) be able to do it via an upgrade and then forcing the reattach with "Keep Existing Signature." Can't say I recommend it though.

If you have the spare storage space, you could use svMotion to migrate everything off the FreeNAS machine, upgrade, and then svMotion it back.

Keith Savoie

Dabbler
Hmmm, not liking this issue, this is going to make updating a real pain.

Thanks 'HoneyBadger' for pointing this out! I would have been in a real bind if I had started the upgrade process.

Looks like I'm going to need to take the long road to updating with full VM backups (have 6 of them), iSCSI config update, then reload. Not as slick as I had hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.