Upgrade advice 11.1-U7->11.2-U7

NASbox

Guru
I'm planning an upgrade from 11.1-U7 to 11.2-U7 and want to make sure that I do it with minimum risk/downtime. I have read the 11.2-U7 manual under the upgrade and don't see anything that relates specifically to my concerns:

FreeNAS 11.1-U7 is installed on a single disk ZFS pool on an SSD.

I understand that the boot loader has changed from GRUB to the native FreeBSD boot loader, and I want to make sure I have a way to switch back to the original boot environment.

The documentation "2.5.5. If Something Goes Wrong" only provides a way to roll back if the boot menu appears, and if the switch from GRUB to FreeBSD boot loader fails, I would expect that I wouldn't even get a boot menu -- Am I correct in this assumption? If so, what steps do I need to take to make sure that I have a way to roll back to 11.1-U7

Since I have waited so long to upgrade is it best to just switch "train" to FreeNAS-11.2-Stable and let the GUI handle everything or should I do a manual upgrade?

If a manual upgrade is suggested (using an ISO/Memstick) should I install an earlier version first, or just install 11.2-U7?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Just backup your config file. In the worst case, you can do a fresh install and load the config file. It would be no different from recovering from a failed boot drive. It shouldn't be a problem though.