SOLVED 11.2-U7: Are you using Samba, and is it reliable? (Anyone having problems with Samba?)

NASbox

Guru
I am planning an upgrade from 11.1-U7 to 11.2-U7, and I was noticing in the roadmap for 11.2-U8 there are a couple of issues that would tend to suggest that Samba is unstable/locks up. Samba is critical for my application, so before initiating the upgrade, I wanted to solicit input from the community:

Are you actively using Samba under 11.2-U7, and is it working well, or are you having problems?

Last edited:

blanchet

Guru
Every day, I dump Terabytes of backups with Veeam Backup from VMware to FreeNAS through Samba.
I run FreeNAS 11.2-u7 for 8 days, I have not problems.

NASbox

Guru
I basically only use FreeNAS for Samba, it's been stable for me.
I assume you are on 11.2-u7? My concern is that the latest version may have issues based on the bugs listed on the roadmap for 11-2-U8.

seanm

Guru
I assume you are on 11.2-u7? My concern is that the latest version may have issues based on the bugs listed on the roadmap for 11-2-U8.

I am on 11.2-U7. All software has bugs. Samba has a new release every 5 minutes, so obviously they have bugs too: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/ No doubt there are bugs in 11.1-U7 too. Whether these bugs affect you or me depends on what exactly we are doing. You could try 11.2-U7 in a VM as a test. Happily with ZFS it's easy to roll back your production server too.

NASbox

Guru

NASbox

Guru
I assume since I haven't heard anything there are no serious problems. I upgraded a couple of days ago, and so far I haven't noticed anything, so I'm going to close this thread.