Are you having problems using your AMD CPU with 9.3?

AMD CPU/APU Questions: Please check all that apply:

• My CPU/APU apperas to work fine under 9.3

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • My CPU/APU appears to NOT work fine under 9.3

• I have an A Series APU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an FX Series CPU

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have an Opteron CPU

• I have an Athlon CPU

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have a Sempron APU

• I have a Phenom CPU

• I have an E Series APU

• I'm not a real man and went with Intel

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Any Other AMD CPU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainD

Contributor
You don't need the beefier CPU, it gains you nothing unless you already have it or it's free. 9.3 will not be an issue for these AMD CPUs.

Can you give more info which amd cpu would be a possible problem?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The only AMD CPUs I could recommend are the FX-4300 and up, no APU CPUs. I'm not saying other CPUs wouldn't be fine but I can only tell you what I know does work at this time. To be honest, I took a gamble when I purchased my FX-4300 because at the time I hadn't heard of anyone using it but I did hear of some APU complaints, but now I can say several people have followed my footsteps and there hasn't been a single complaint that I am aware of.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and it's not the CPU that kills you, it's the motherboard. I wish I had a MB with IPMI (if you don't know what that is, Google it).

When it comes to costs, no matter how you slice it, odds are you will spend more money on the hard drives than the rest of your system combined, well unless you only have a few hard drives.

FYI, I have booted my AMD system once from 9.3 Beta without my hard drives attached and it seemed fine. I'll do it again in a few weeks and I'll have a hard drive installed and SSD as the boot device to see how it runs for testing purposes of course. Once 9.3 Release comes out, I'll upgrade my system for real.

AlainD

Contributor
The only AMD CPUs I could recommend are the FX-4300 and up, no APU CPUs. I'm not saying other CPUs wouldn't be fine but I can only tell you what I know does work at this time. To be honest, I took a gamble when I purchased my FX-4300 because at the time I hadn't heard of anyone using it but I did hear of some APU complaints, but now I can say several people have followed my footsteps and there hasn't been a single complaint that I am aware of.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and it's not the CPU that kills you, it's the motherboard. I wish I had a MB with IPMI (if you don't know what that is, Google it).

When it comes to costs, no matter how you slice it, odds are you will spend more money on the hard drives than the rest of your system combined, well unless you only have a few hard drives.

FYI, I have booted my AMD system once from 9.3 Beta without my hard drives attached and it seemed fine. I'll do it again in a few weeks and I'll have a hard drive installed and SSD as the boot device to see how it runs for testing purposes of course. Once 9.3 Release comes out, I'll upgrade my system for real.

Thanks

I'm still running 9.2.0 with a AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor for backups, reuse from a few 2TB disks and a few new.

Should I build a "live" server, it would be a supermicro with 14 sata (well 6 of them SAS) ports, max 2x 6disks z2 and a 2way ssd mirror.

diskdiddler

Wizard
This is putting me off of trying it on my Microservers.......I think there would be a lot FreeNAS users upset if it had issues on these :S

I will be completely lost if it doesn't work on my N54L.
I'm waiting for 9.3 to be quite stable before upgrading, I need to see some real world benefit over 9.2.1..6 , as it stands mine works close to perfectly.

rogerh

Guru
This is putting me off of trying it on my Microservers.......I think there would be a lot FreeNAS users upset if it had issues on these :S

The beta boots on my hardware (Microserver N54L as sig.) and has been running a few days with not obvious problems. But I haven't stressed it in any way, and have no jails. However, although it is not in my sig I am booting it from an SSD, not the USB stick I have 9.2.1.8 on. If it is of any interest I'll try it on a USB drive, but I don't think I am going to try an update from 9.2.1.8 - there doesn't seem any point in not doing a new install, unless one is very short of USB drives!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will be completely lost if it doesn't work on my N54L.
I'm waiting for 9.3 to be quite stable before upgrading, I need to see some real world benefit over 9.2.1..6 , as it stands mine works close to perfectly.

I have a real-world benefit for you.. there's a vulnerability in Samba in every version prior to 9.2.1.7. There's a ZFS memory leak in all versions prior to 9.2.1.9. ;)

diskdiddler

Wizard
I have a real-world benefit for you.. there's a vulnerability in Samba in every version prior to 9.2.1.7. There's a ZFS memory leak in all versions prior to 9.2.1.9. ;)

I just read though that the ZFS memory leak was only applicable to compressed volumes with l2arc or some such compression?
As for the security issue, that's not going to be a problem on my network.

I will eventually go to 9.3 but I don't feel like it's a dire thing I need to do. If you guys somehow wrangle out "oh smb transfers have gained 15% performance increase" or "We've added up a feature which will routinely compress a jail to an archive for backups" - then sign me up and I'll get right on it. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, it's only for L2ARC with compression on datasets. I just cut it short because I didn't feel like writing out a full-blown response.

9.3 is in beta. I wouldn't use it yet as it's not at RELEASE. ;)

There are constant improvements with Samba (release notes mention the versions) but if you want to know what exactly changes you'd need to keep track of what was fixed in each release for yourself. I don't know about you, but I don't keep that kind of detail in my head because, as a choice to use FreeNAS, you are choosing to use it as a full package.

diskdiddler

Wizard
of course but if you follow the software closely and there's some huge breakthrough like 10% speed boost in any area, then of course you'd likely remember it :)
anyhow, i don't intend to even get it at release, I'm a bit concerned about the auto update feature one day hosing the entire install due to a bad update. stranger things have hapenned.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
of course but if you follow the software closely and there's some huge breakthrough like 10% speed boost in any area, then of course you'd likely remember it :)
anyhow, i don't intend to even get it at release, I'm a bit concerned about the auto update feature one day hosing the entire install due to a bad update. stranger things have hapenned.

Actually, if the autoupdate were to hose your freenas install you just rollback to the previous clone. :D

We got that all worked out. On my test system I have about 60 installs of FreeNAS on my 16GB SATA DOM that I could roll back to in less than 2 minutes. :)

diskdiddler

Wizard
Oh yeah I forgot about the video - that thing which takes a snapshot and you can choose it from the boot menu yeah? That is a good feature - my machine is headless but no big deal, odds of an update breaking are also low.
I will say, I didn't get from the video that the snapshot feature was automatic though? Is it on updates?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. The system makes a clone every time it does an "update". It's entirely automatic as that is how the updating works. :)

Alecmascot

Guru
I have 9.3 Beta running on two Microservers, an N34L and an N40L with no issues.
rgds

BigJ

Dabbler
Hi

I'm a pretty basic user with just CIF shares and minidlna setup so far and it's working fine on my HP N54L.

RoboKaren

Contributor
I'm running 9.3beta on my HP N54L and aside from some issues reconfiguring Plex (fixed!) and Crashplan (fixed!), it seems to be just running fine. It's not a high-stress server -- it just basically handles backups and mediaslinging for my home network.

Magnus33

Patron
I been testing it before the beta and the only major issue i seen is the new zfs is more picky about hard-drive firmware.

Its refused to work on a seagate drive that had a firmware that required updating.
So i would check to see if your getting any hard-drive firmware warnings or do a manual check to see if there a firmware issue.

Otherwise its been running stable on my amd machine for quite some time now.

There was a shares not mounting issue with plex (fixed) and the update feature was broken (fixed i believe).

The guys did some very nice work on this. :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't feel anyone will have issues with 9.3 with respect to the AMD CPUs. The current concern, which is minor in my opinion right now will be FreeNAS 10. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Why would 10 be a big issue? Is this something to do with changes to FreeBSD itself?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why would 10 be a big issue? Is this something to do with changes to FreeBSD itself?

Yeah, basically. It's still unconfirmed at the moment, so don't worry about it too much, unless you're going to buy hardware.

diskdiddler

Wizard
No problems, I intend to hold on to my 18TB Microserver for as long as possible, maybe, just maybe until V-Nand TLC SSD's compete with platter disks in size / price.
(I'd guess minimum 3 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.