Updating Plex Standard Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopfarth

Explorer
I have been running the PMS_Updater.sh script to update my Plex server which is running in a standard Jail. The script seems to run just fine, and seemed to fetch the latest version of PMS, but when I restart the PMS Jail and log into the server the PLEX GUI still shows an old version of the code and still displays the "update available" banner.

Is there a way to make sure I am actually running the latest version and or get the GUI to show the correct version?

Thanks in advance!

Here is the script i am using:
fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mstinaff/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh

chmod 755 PMS_Updater.sh

./PMS_Updater.sh -u [username] -p [password] -a -v

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Did you restart the service after you installed it? service plexmediaserver restart

And if you are running it in a standard jail why aren't you using pkg upgrade to keep it up to date?

geopfarth

Explorer
Did you restart the service after you installed it? service plexmediaserver restart

And if you are running it in a standard jail why aren't you using pkg upgrade to keep it up to date?

I did restart the service after package application. I use the PMS updater script because it has seemed to be pretty effective and I am not particularly strong in my knowledge of the command line. The script was recommended by a number of people on the forums when I set up the server, so I saved it off and do a copy, paste when I want to update Plex.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That script was meant for updating the plex plugin. All you need to do is to update a standard jail is pkg upgrade and restart the service once it's upgraded.

geopfarth

Explorer
OK, so I tried going back in and doing the "pkg upgrade".

Here is the output:
root@plex-standard-jail:/ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (1 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.
root@plex-standard-jail:/ #

When I restarted Plex and logged into the GUI I saw this:
upload_2018-1-21_14-26-6.png

Looking at the server settings page I see this:
upload_2018-1-21_14-26-55.png

I guess the question is, did the process work or am I missing a step?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well that would be for the plexpass version of Plex. I'm guessing here but I think you may have broken your ability to update plex by using the updater script since pkg isn't finding any updates. That script was meant to update the plugin version and until very recently in iocage there wasn't a plexpass version of the plugin available.

How did you install plex in the first place? Did you use the tutorial from this forum?

geopfarth

Explorer
I believe it was this resource I followed initially (or one very similar because I am still on FN9.10).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You would likely be better served spinning up a new jail and copying over your database to it from the old jail. Then just use pkg upgrade to keep the jail and Plex up to date.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Then just use pkg upgrade to keep the jail and Plex up to date.
There was a recent report that the Plex packages were pretty far out-of-date, and you'd do better using ports. Just FWIW.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There was a recent report that the Plex packages were pretty far out-of-date, and you'd do better using ports. Just FWIW.
Mine is up to date. I also just got a notification a couple days ago that the port was updated with the latest plexpass version.

ajschot

Patron
it worked well for me too.... until 1.10 for some reason i am still on version 1.10 something.... while 1.12 is out.... but I still get the message that i am up-to-date when do-ing pkg upgdate and pkg upgrade

Code:
root@PlexServer:/ # pkg update												 
root@PlexServer:/ # pkg upgrade												 
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%									 
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%									 
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)									 
Your packages are up to date.												   
root@PlexServer:/ #		 

rmckellar

Cadet
I've updated update script to work on 11.2-RC1 build.

Check Readme for install instructions.

https://github.com/luluhoc/PMS_Updater

Lulu, thanks for all your hard work, i have relied on this script for a long time now. I have a question, I actually came here because Plex is still telling me I have an update even after running the script and all, but regardless my actual question is:

I noticed on the github page, it said if you have the Plex Plugin use the first script, if you have installed via PLEXPass use the second script. I believe I have always used the top script, but if I am a Plex Pass member who installed originally thru the Freenas plugin, will the first script (fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/luluhoc/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh) as long as I add the correct login and password to the last line, will that update me to the PLexPass version?

lulu

Dabbler
Lulu, thanks for all your hard work, i have relied on this script for a long time now. I have a question, I actually came here because Plex is still telling me I have an update even after running the script and all, but regardless my actual question is:

I noticed on the github page, it said if you have the Plex Plugin use the first script, if you have installed via PLEXPass use the second script. I believe I have always used the top script, but if I am a Plex Pass member who installed originally thru the Freenas plugin, will the first script (fetch -o PMS_Updater.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/luluhoc/PMS_Updater/master/PMS_Updater.sh) as long as I add the correct login and password to the last line, will that update me to the PLexPass version?

It depends which plugin you’ve installed cause there are two right now in 11.2 Plex normal and plex pass.
There is also a question if you’ve moved your jails do iocage or updated freenas without reinstalling jails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.