Updated Truenas. Unable to login/access shares. How do I restore?

gg6020

Cadet
I upgraded to what appears to be 12.2-release-p6. I am not certain which previous version i was on.

I downloaded the settings before updating but now unable to login to web gui or access shares the login hangs when trying to login. It does not return a password error.

I tried to reset the password via the console but i get some bsduser error.

if I run a fresh install on another USB can i restore my settings/ZFS? Will i lose my ZFS shares etc?

I also get "smbd 3012 - unable to open printcap file /etc//printcap for read!"

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if I run a fresh install on another USB can i restore my settings/ZFS? Will i lose my ZFS shares etc?
The config includes user, pool and share information, so that would be kept... but may mean you're in the same situation as now.

Are you logging in as root in the GUI (I guess like you did before)?

gg6020

Cadet
The config includes user, pool and share information, so that would be kept... but may mean you're in the same situation as now.

Are you logging in as root in the GUI (I guess like you did before)?
Yes i was under the impression you can only use root to login to the gui. Is it possible to create another user/admin on the console shell?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

gg6020

Cadet
So guys if anyone has similar issues after upgrading, reboot the server and there is an option before Truenas boots to load a previous install. #7. Oddly enough it had every previous update I have ever done. The question is now how do I make that boot option to default?

NugentS

MVP
click on it and make it active

gg6020

Cadet
So I tried to update to the latest version with a manual update.. but I get the same issue after updating. unable to Login. It would appear that somehow the security gets corrupted after an update which makes the root user hang. I am upgrading from TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 and just tried to update to TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1. any ideas? or am i stuck now on TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1 indefinitely.

Any instructions how i could do a migration to a new install keeping my pools/vdevs/zfs intact?

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
Reboot and select/activate an old boot environment that worked, boot into that version, ensure that it works, then try update again. These actions are not expected to put your data pools at risk - this is one of the big features of TrueNAS.

Alecmascot

Guru
Reboot and select/activate an old boot environment that worked, boot into that version, ensure that it works, then try update again. These actions are not expected to put your data pools at risk - this is one of the big features of TrueNAS.
Delete any failed update before you try the update again.