Unable to authenticate in GUI after latest update 22.12.2

Pelleplast

Cadet
After updating Truenas to 22.12.2 I'm unable to login in the GUI or via SSH using password. I'm able to ssh with my previously configured keypair but not using password.
If I specifically uses password authentication with ssh then I'm unable to authenticate
ssh -o PasswordAuthentication=yes -o PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive,password -o PubkeyAuthentication=no {USER}@{TRUENAS-IP}

Well on the server (ssh:ed in using keypair) I'm unable to manually change my password, I'm just getting the following.

{USER}@truenas:~$ passwd
Changing password for {USER}.
Current password:
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged

I am however able to become root using sudo su well on the server.
I've restarted the system but it doesn't help. All my apps are up and running and I'm able to access them.
I do have two factor authentication enabled and root login disabled.

Last edited:

Thorarin

Cadet
Since today I have the same problem. I'm not able to log into any accounts on the UI, and changing passwords for the accounts gives me this error.
Did you find any kind of solution for this?

Thorarin

Cadet
I figured out what happened to my installation: admin had been magically removed from builtin_administrators.
When I try to add the account back to this group, it didn't work either. Saving and reopening the dialog didn't show the change and /etc/group didn't update either.

The admin account was member of another auxiliary group. After removing admin from this group, I was able to add it back to builtin_administrators using the GUI. It's probably just some weird GUI bug?