Updated transmission plugin, lost storage sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
After updating Transmission to 2.84_2, I somehow lost connection with existing files in my Downloads folder. I can connect to Transmission, but I don't see any files. I added a new torrent, and I could see that file, and it was in the right place outside the jail.

So it seems to be a syncing problem with the storage inside and outside the jail. Transmission seems unaware of what is already there. Is there a way to sync them up or something. I really don't understand how this jail storage really works.

Edit - I've already started and stopped both the jail and the plugin numerous times, and unmounted and mounted the storage through the GUI.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
I found that the downloads are actually in the proper download folder inside the jail, but for some reason Transmission is not seeing them. Here's the setting for Download folder
Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 7.29.52 AM.png

and I checked settings.json - it has that correct folder listed. Also recreated the storage to match that. But transmission just isn't getting it. Could appreciate some help.
Is it that active down/uploads can't survive an update?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sounds like the file doesn't have the correct permissions.

Glorious1

Guru
Not sure what file you mean. The download/upload files were there before updating and worked fine. New torrents added also work. I think somehow Transmission lost all the existing .torrents during the update.

Glorious1

Guru
I've concluded that the torrents in
/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/torrents
get liquidated during the update. So transmission has no link to all the files in the downloads folder anymore. I guess the work-around would be backup that folder before the update and then restore it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Don't put your torrent files in that directory? I would put them on my FreeNAS storage and share it with the jail.

Glorious1

Guru
I don't put torrent files in that directory - transmission does.

I do have a watch folder outside that jail that I can put torrents in. If I do, transmission just copies them into that internal . . .home/torrents folder and then forgets about the external one.

But most of my torrents are added as magnet links. So there is no torrent anywhere except the one transmission creates in that . . .home/torrents folder. I don't see any way to control that location.

And if I were to create an external storage location linked to . . .home/torrents, wouldn't the torrents in it simply be erased when the internal ones were?

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Glorious1

Same exact thing happened to me. I lost the downloads I had (or they are invisible to me). No big deal, but my problem is trying to get transmisson back up and running. I only made it to 50% of the update. Tried that a few times. Read a few posts that there are ways of dealing with the 50% thing, but I didn't want to mess with it, so I just deleted the plugin. Then, re-installed it. It worked fine, but I am unable to change the IP address back to what it was. I thought that I just went into the jail and changed the IP address there, as well as in the transmission GUI, under settings. When I tried chaning the IP address, the plugin fails to work. It is automatically shut of, and refuses to turn back on. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
Is it possible that IP address was taken over by another device under DCHP?
Even just updating, I saw that all my transmission settings were gone and I had to reset download folder etc.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
No, I checked that. Is that all I have to do to change the IP address? Jails and GUI?

Glorious1

Guru
As far as I know it's just in the jail settings. I don't see anyplace in the transmission settings to set a IP address. Did you turn the jail off before trying to change it?

patrick sullivan

Contributor
I did. I'm not too worried. I'm sure I'll get it up and running. I am actually glad this happened. Just a reminder to NEVER store any vital info inside a JAIL :)

Glorious1

Guru
I have a DHCP reservation in my router for the jail's IP using the MAC address given in the Advanced part of the jail settings; not sure if that would help.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Thanks Glorious1, I'll take that piece of info home with me to chew on tonight. I don't remember setting up the MAC address in the jail settings, only the IP.

Glorious1

Guru
Well I didn't set the MAC address there; I just read it there in order to use it in the router. I assume you could put any MAC address in there though since there is not an actual hardware MAC address.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think the issue is that transmission stores .torrent files (corresponding to the files you are sharing) in /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/torrents
When FreeNAS updates the plugin it overwrites pretty much everything under /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64.

So I don't know what you can do about your old downloads other than find the .torrent files for them, transmission should verify the files are already there and not redownload them.

####

I'll try fixing this with the next update of the transmission plugin by moving the data directory to /var/db/transmission

Glorious1

Guru
Yes, that was my suspicion. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.