Update to FreeNAS 11.0-U4 fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

insan3

Dabbler
Hi,

I tried to update my FreeNAS 11.0-U3 to U4 this morning but I can't boot with U4. After some strange grub errors I managed to boot back the old U3 install and all seems to work again. When I try to boot U4 i get the errors you see in the screenshot. Does anyone else have this problem?

Pressing any key doesn't do anything, all I can do is reset.

Attachments

• error_freenas1.png
    error_freenas1.png
    17 KB · Views: 496
Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Interesting error. Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

insan3

Dabbler

hervon

Patron
Update went fine here.

ThreeDee

Guru
update failed the first attempt with something about middleware .. I ran the update again and it went just fine.

insan3

Dabbler
I managed to work around the problem. Somehow grub doesn't like the AMD SP5100 s-ata controller. I moved the boot ssd to a different controller (the lsi, used for storage) and it booted without any problems. So the AMD SP5100 is the problem here. Funny thing tough is that if the system is booting, and running, you can use the controller without issues. ( I used it for storage in Corral and used a usb stick for boot previously ).

Anyway, for me it is working now.

Michael De Cou

Explorer
I have had similar errors. Finally got the U4 update to work... However, once booted, I get a note that an update is available. I go to the update screen, and it tells me that U3 to U4 is available. When i click "apply pending" or "check now", i get the message stating that U4 has already been applied, and I should activate it in the Boot menu. Funny thing is, U4 is active in the boot menu. The system thinks it is booted into U3, even though it is is not. I even removed the U3 environment to see if that fixed it... no luck.

insan3

Dabbler
What controller do you have? (Where the boot device is attached to)?

pschatz100

Guru
An update from 11.0-u2 to u4 just worked fine for me.

BJ Abbott

Cadet
Hi folks, Need some help here Similar problem 11 U04 fails and falls back to U03. Tried again. Now seems to have corrupted Network settings. I can get console but web interface address shows 0.0.0.0 and won't reset via console ipv4 settings. Says files are missing.
I think that I am going to have to build 11-U04 on a fresh 8gb usb stick. Just need some advice/handrails on processes that I need to follow to to ensure recovery.

Grateful for all responses. Many thanks

pschatz100

Guru
If 11.0-u3 is working OK for you, I would save your configuration (something you should do on a regular basis, anyway) then do a fresh install of u4. You can restore your configuration and then you will be up and running. It's not really much work. At most, you may have to redo your email settings for FreeNAS alerts.

And, I agree with your plan to use a fresh usb stick. However, I would suggest a good quality 16gb stick at a minimum. They tend to have faster firmware which seems to help reliability during the booting process.

Status
Not open for further replies.