SOLVED Is it safe and stable to run and update from 11.0-U4 to 11.1-U4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

All my FreeNAS boxes are running fine with 11.0-U4 but I do want to use the cloud feature, therefore I follow this thread pretty carefully and it seems to be still a bit tricky to update to 11.1-U1 and or to run 11.1-U1 !?
Eg. If I read > unable to boot after update to 11.1-U1 or random reboots, flooding system messages, system unhealthy, volumes gone or you have to reinstall from scratch usw.

All this sounds not pretty stable and it seems to be wise to wait for at least 11.1-U2 ?

Thanks and all the best

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecmascot

Guru
I am on 11.0-U4 also and am waiting for 11.2-U1 at least.
Then all the "features" will be added and hopefully debugged and someone will have released a retro-fit classic GUI :)
It's all too much bleeding-edge for me at the moment !

Last edited:

VictorR

Contributor
I wouldn’t do it.....yet
Last week, I updated a perfectly functioning 11.0-U4 NAS to 11.1-U1. And now it has tanked. 11.1 was somehow corrupted during install, and gets caught in an infinite loop of Python errors during boot.

The simple answer would be to roll back to 11.04....except, it no longer shows when I F11 into boot loader during startup. The only thing that shows is 11.1

There’s approximately 80TB of data on this NAS. I called the NAS manufacturer and they are recommending that customers hold off on the update, for now. Wish I had known

I’m hoping some of the gurus around here can point me to a solution.

Alecmascot

Guru
Just do a fresh install of 11.0-U4, you can preserve previous boot environments, and import your saved config and it should all be back.

VictorR

Contributor
Hi Alec, thanks for help.
By doing a fresh install, do you mean - create a USB boot drive with 11.04?

Or, is there another way to do it from within IPMI?

Alecmascot

Guru
Can you mount an ISO image in IPMI ? If not I guess you will have to make a boot drive.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I called the NAS manufacturer and they are recommending that customers hold off on the update
To be clear, you phoned iXSystems, and this is what they told you?
Or, is there another way to do it from within IPMI?
Sure--mount the installer ISO via IPMI, boot from that, install from that to your existing boot device. Or to a new one if you're concerned about your boot device at all.

jasonfreenas

Cadet
Dear all,

All my FreeNAS boxes are running fine with 11.0-U4 but I do want to use the cloud feature, therefore I follow this thread pretty carefully and it seems to be still a bit tricky to update to 11.1-U1 and or to run 11.1-U1 !?
Eg. If I read > unable to boot after update to 11.1-U1 or random reboots, flooding system messages, system unhealthy, volumes gone or you have to reinstall from scratch usw.

All this sounds not pretty stable and it seems to be wise to wait for at least 11.1-U2 ?

Thanks and all the best
I'm in the same position - waiting to upgrade to something stable. I'm shocked at the state of the FreeNAS software. I have no idea why these terrible versions of the software are released.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You could issue an update that literally only changes the FreeNAS logo and somebody would complain that their system is now completely broken.

11.1-U1, like all software, is not perfect. However, it does seem to be working well, in general.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm shocked at the state of the FreeNAS software.
I'm shocked that you're shocked. No, actually, without any context, I couldn't care less, as your shock is meaningless. And if you haven't run the current version, you really have no idea how stable it is, so you shock is (at best) second-hand.

For my use case, 11.1-U1 is working fine. FN11.1 didn't. Fortunately, rolling back to the previous version was trivially easy, so the risk of the upgrade is pretty low. The biggest problem I'm seeing with 11.1-U1 (and there's a truly astonishing amount of whining here about it) is some log spam.

VictorR

Contributor
Can you mount an ISO image in IPMI ? If not I guess you will have to make a boot drive.

I will attempt that today.

To be clear, you phoned iXSystems, and this is what they told you?

No, mine NAS was built by another company. To be fair to them, I called late Friday afternoon their time (they are inNova Scotia), when their main tech support team was gone. The person I talked to admitted he couldn’t help me with the problem.

Sure--mount the installer ISO via IPMI, boot from that, install from that to your existing boot device. Or to a new one if you're concerned about your boot device at all.

OK, I will read up on that today and give it a try.

outside of minor issues and my own user errors, this 120TB NAS has been rock solid for over 2 years of solid 7 day a week production use. And, I mean nonstop real-time 2k/4K raw video streaming to several simultaneous film editors and post production staff on a 10Ghz network.

We are very, very, pleased with this OS and NAS

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Ok. so there is 11-1-u2 out.....

Can anybody confirm an issueless update form 11.0-U4 ?

Alecmascot

Guru
Ok. so there is 11-1-u2 out.....

Can anybody confirm an issueless update form 11.0-U4 ?
Yes, I just get the newgui issue documented elsewhere. No problems with the oldgui.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
While 11.1-U4 seem to solve the smb issue I did not read any other issues yet.

Does anybody can confirm that U4 is stable and or can confirm an flawless update from 11.0-U4 ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I upgraded my backup FreeNAS from 11.1-U1 to 11.1-U4 via the GUI -> Update and no issues yet and I don't expect to see any. I'm using the old GUI and very few freatures other than it's a NAS and stores files. No jails, nothing fancy. I'm a basic kind of guy. Also my FreeNAS is running on ESXi 6.0 if that matters.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Yesterday I did update my boxes to 11.1-U4.

It was flawless, issueless and till now I do not see any issues !

Status
Not open for further replies.