Update Procedure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentk10

Explorer
Since I will have to rebuild the jails I have (unbound DNS server, Nextcloud), and I want to change my boot drive from a USB 2.0 stick to USB 3.0 stick, would I be better off installing 11.1 fresh from scratch, and starting over, instead of running an update from the gui?

I have 2 pools, one pool is for data (it has 2 sets of mirrored vdevs) one pool is for jails (single m.2 ssd). If I install freenas 11.1 from scratch, will I be able to import the pools? I realize I will have to set up my snapshots, smart tests, shares, network and everything else again (unless there is someway to import an 11.0 U4 config into 11.1)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why do you have to rebuild your jails?

I would just save my config and try the upgrade. If it breaks for some reason then you can do a fresh install an no reason to do the extra work if it's not needed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
unless there is someway to import an 11.0 U4 config into 11.1
Of course there is. Why would you assume otherwise? You can import configs from older versions into newer versions, but not the reverse.

trentk10

Explorer
Why do you have to rebuild your jails?

I would just save my config and try the upgrade. If it breaks for some reason then you can do a fresh install an no reason to do the extra work if it's not needed.

Maybe I have misunderstood what I read in the jails section. From what I have read from others, going from BSD 11.0 to 11.1 the jails have to be rebuilt?

trentk10

Explorer
Of course there is. Why would you assume otherwise? You can import configs from older versions into newer versions, but not the reverse.

I wasn't trying to assume something negative, I can see why it read that way though.
I just don't know, so I was trying to ask if a config would carry to a new version from an old one.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Maybe I have misunderstood what I read in the jails section. From what I have read from others, going from BSD 11.0 to 11.1 the jails have to be rebuilt?
No rebuild. freebsd-upgrade -r might work to upgrade the jail or just leave it and you probably won't have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.