Update from 11.2-U3 to 11.2-U7 okay?

bobfandango

Cadet
Does anyone know if there are any known issues with a direct update from U3 to U7?

More generally, is there even any way to do the intermediate updates from U3->U4->U5->U6->U7 (the UI doesn't seem to support that)?

Thanks...

pschatz100

Guru
@bobfandango that is an interesting question, and I will be curious to see if any other members weigh in on this.

I do not update FreeNAS at each release. Normally, I check the release notes and update if there is a fix for a problem I am concerned about or a new feature that I want. I also check the forums for comments people make about the versions - for instance, I skipped U4 because of the negative comments with that update. Over the last year, I went from 11.2RELEASE to 11.2U3 to U5 to U7. I did not have any problems.

I would not expect issues with an update from 11.2U3 to U7. Just be patient and let the process run to completion (sometimes updates take a while.) And I have three pieces of advice:

1) Back up your system configuration
2) Back up your system configuration
3) Back up your system configuration

With a saved copy of your system configuration, you can always rebuild with a new install without too much fuss.

Good luck.

markmuehlbauer

Dabbler
FYI, I am having no luck updating a very stable hardware platform to 11.2u7. Currently on u6.
Luckily it roles back without issue, however, this is the first time I have upgraded into a non-functional situation.
Maybe wait on u7 until. . . .

pschatz100

Guru
FYI, I am having no luck updating a very stable hardware platform to 11.2u7. Currently on u6.
Luckily it roles back without issue, however, this is the first time I have upgraded into a non-functional situation.
Maybe wait on u7 until. . . .
Very odd. But since you have not shared your system configuration, it is not possible to comment further. However, if you are booting from a thumb drive, then it is possible the device is failing. Problems with thumb drives almost always show up when updating - which is why so many of us now boot from small SSD's.