Update from 11.2 U2 to latest U4 seems to fail repeatedly via web interface

Fortinbras

Dabbler
Hi, I have an installation of 11.2 U2 (pretty sure, though the box is not in front of me) on an HP N40L micro server, with a USB thumb drive as the boot device internally. I haven’t used it for much of anything yet, but since I recently got automated snapshots set up on my desktop I finally wanted to start shipping them over to the FreeNAS. When I booted up the FreeNAS it told me there were updates available, so I tried to installing them; I didn’t bother saving a backup config file, since I haven’t configured anything. It downloaded something like 485 MB, and then started doing the update. The update progress went steadily up until it reached 62.50%, and then it sat there at that level for quite some minutes. I never saw it go above that level, but suddenly the box decided to reboot. After the reboot, it told me I still had the same updates available, did I want to install? So, rinse and repeat: same thing stuck at 62.50%, reboot, same updates need to be installed after reboot.

This isn’t a critical box with any data on it yet, so I’m tempted to just download the latest and install from scratch, but is there something I’m missing here? Thank you for your advice.

Kurt

D

dlavigne

Did the update ever finish? If not, how much space is used on the boot pool? Any errors in /var/log/messages when the update hangs? What is the full output of ifconfig (within code tags)?