11.3-U2 update fail

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
I am trying to do the update from 11.3-U1 to 11.3-U2 and the files download and install OK, but on reboot, I get:
"Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-U8-2 failed with error 45; retrying"
followed by some waiting and then dropping into a db> shell, where I don't know how to proceed.

Rebooting and selecting an older boot environment works, but of course, I still have no update. I have tried this several times with the same result.

What to do?

Now, looking again, it appears that it's somehow trying to downgrade from 11.3-U1 to 11.2-U8?
1586291575412.png

What's up with that?
Background: this is a system that's been running for years. I recently replaced the boot devices (2x ssd), installed 11.3 and uploaded the old config. I had to redo my old jails, but all is working. Then I realized that my desktop backups weren't working properly because the file modified dates were all getting set to today. So looking around found that this is fixed in U3, and hence my eagerness to update.

So now what?

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Delete the new boot env for 11.3-u2 and try the upgrade again

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
Delete the new boot env for 11.3-u2 and try the upgrade again

There is no 11.3-u2 boot environment to delete.

Yorick

Wizard
I mean, this is silly, and ... what happens if you switch to 12 nightly train, DO NOT UPDATE, and just switch right back to 11.3 stable? Does that fix the "11.3 is really 11.2, natch" problem?

And then there's always upgrade from ISO, but you really shouldn't have to.

1.21gigawatts

Explorer
I'm hesitant to switch trains because there is a warning that this is a one way trip and you can't go back. I will try the ISO route, it's easy enough.

Meanwhile I have applied the manual patch for smb dates, and it's working OK.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So I upgraded to 11.3-u2 with zero upgrade problems. Just a data point. The iso manual upgrade process is a good idea

Yorick

Wizard
I'm hesitant to switch trains because there is a warning that this is a one way trip and you can't go back. I will try the ISO route, it's easy enough.

This is true for switching to the train, upgrading to the train, and then wanting to come back to the previous version. That's not supported, though boot environments make it possible.

You can switch to the train, not upgrade, and then switch back, and that will work. Whether that is supported is a very good question. ISO is certainly safe!

Volte

Dabbler
You can switch to the train, not upgrade, and then switch back, and that will work. Whether that is supported is a very good question. ISO is certainly safe!

This worked for me. I was also nervous about simply "selecting" (switching) to another train, as I wasn't confident I could "switch" back, but without upgrading, it's doable. dumb bug, dumber (but effective) workaround :)