SOLVED Unknown SMBD connection to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhm133

Cadet
I have been very slowly working on moving onto a newer version on freenas and on a larger usb stick (currently on 4gb). I am still on 9.2.1.7 as it does what it does quite well.

I recently logged in to my freenas console and read through the logs. I found the following smdb message

freenas smbd[88249]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionstarget-takehara (ipv4:192.168.1.3:31706) closed connection to service

I do not know 'takehara' and am worried that it is someone outside trying to get in; a neighbour for example.

I have the same message from known computers on my network. This one is new. Has someone accessed my NAS?

I have no suspicious entries on my router logs and everything is locked down with strong passwords.

I'm happy to upload the whole log if it helps at all.

Brett

Anyone able to confirm that Takehara is the place Panasonic televisions are made?

Look at your arp table arp -an from the CLI. Find the IP in question and then go here https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html and enter the MAC address. That will likely tell you what kind of devices it is, or at least who owns the MAC address space it is using. Even more crudely, you could attempt and HTTP or HTTPS connection to the IP of the mystery device.

bhm133

Cadet
Look at your arp table arp -an from the CLI. Find the IP in question and then go here https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html and enter the MAC address. That will likely tell you what kind of devices it is, or at least who owns the MAC address space it is using. Even more crudely, you could attempt and HTTP or HTTPS connection to the IP of the mystery device.

I did not know about wireshark. What an awesome site. I got the mac address and bingo bango bongo it is a Panasonic TV!

Thank you so much Elliot for the link and advice of where to look for a solution. I will keep this one up my sleeve and pay it forward to others who need to know where that mysterious device is coming from.

Mods... we can close this thread.

Thanks again!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
What if someone's watching you THROUGH your TV?

:eek:
;)
:p

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Mods... we can close this thread.
Generally, we do not close threads. Instead, when a solution is found, choose Thread Tools/Edit Thread and set the dropdown to Solved. This is helpful to other users.

bhm133

Cadet
Generally, we do not close threads. Instead, when a solution is found, choose Thread Tools/Edit Thread and set the dropdown to Solved. This is helpful to other users.
Thank you for the information about how to show the thread has been solved. Much appreciated. Also, thank you for diving into the settings and adding the solved icon for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.