Votes: 0 0.0%
  • reinstall os

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

paco1969

Cadet
I have a Supermicro CSE-847 36bay. It has been running for 2 years, but I lost 4 HD's and lost the RAID. I am trying to reinstall Freenas but it won't let me. It won't boot from USB or CD. I have set up the BIOS to boot from either the USB or the CD but nothing. When booting from CD I got an error: cddone got error 0x5 back. and from USB no errors but it won't boot from it. I have tried different images from USB with same results.

The storages that I have built before are gone, but if I do a normal boot I got the error that "unable to mount storage, storage do not exist. I tried to import, mount, list a storage but I got the same error, it does not exist.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, a CSE-847 isn't even a server, it's a chassis.

Assuming you have some sort of Supermicro motherboard in there, make sure you've got it set to LEGACY boot (if that option is in the BIOS boot screen) and then first preference should be USB CD boot. Since you're getting errors on the CD read, I'd suggest using an external burner to make your FreeNAS boot media, and then using the same external burner on the server to read the disc back. Sometimes drives go a bit wonky and drives are most likely to read their own discs.

paco1969

Cadet
Yes, I have a supermicro motherboard. Thank you for you assistance jgreco
I changed USB key and new image, now it does try to boot from it, but it only gave a blinking prompt on the left upper corner of the screen.

Noctris

Contributor
Hmm. How did you say you lost those 4hdd again ?

paco1969

Cadet
Hmm. How did you say you lost those 4hdd again ?
They just went out at the same time, I lost the data and the RAID. I have replaced the HD's now but it won't boot. Unable to mount storage, storage not found. So I am trying to reinstall Freenas.

Noctris

Contributor
To me, that sounds suspicious. 4 disks that go out at the same time and freenas not wanting to boot on it anymore... Weird stuff. I would try to run diagnostics on the hardware before continuing to try and run freenas.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What exactly are your system specs? Chassis model, motherboard,cpu,RAM, PSU wattage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.