Unable to preview word doc in windows explorer

ajpeters

Cadet
I have at least 3 users on Windows 10 and 11 that when trying to preview word docs that are stored on the server (SMB share) they get the message "Preview cannot display this document" They do preview when on the local machine. The server is on the same LAN as the PCs. PDFwork fine in both places.

Where is the setting to prevent previewing.
Thanks in advance,
John

joeschmuck

Old Man
Where is the setting to prevent previewing.
In MS Word: File -> Options -> General -> Enable Live Preview.

Simple.

Der... I could have read that better. Preview in Explorer I suspect you wanted to say? Looking it up... Nope, can't find anything yet that would limit it to non-local machine. I did read something about if the LAN connection was slow, preview may not occur. I don't know your network but is that a possibility? I'd think it would need to be really slow but that is it for now. Someone else might have a better suggestion. Have you tried the MS Office forums? Oh, it it ONLY Word docs, what about any other MS Office applications?

Last edited:

ajpeters

Cadet
It is a gigabit LAN with only 3 users.
I double checked it today. Excel just shows a blank. Word gives the error message "Could not preview, error in Preview.

Preview worked on on the desktop and when opening on another windows machine using a P2P share. It appears to be a problem with the SMB sharing on the NAS.