Word for Mac on NFS v4 share thinks documents are read only

steinrr

Dabbler
First of all: this is an issue I am having with Unraid as server - but I wanted to see if anyone using FreeNAS/TrueNAS has same experience. I guess it is similar NFS server that runs in background and that concepts are the same. I hope it is OK to ask for experiences from FreeNAS/TrueNAS regarding this topic - I guess it is a general issue.

I have a strange issue with server running NFS v4 shares.

Facts:
* Running a fresh install of Word on a fresh Mac
* Documents are on an NFS v4 network share
* The share and documents has all permissions: Read - Write - Execute (have not used any ACL)
* I can verify this by using "Get info" on a Word document and see that myselv, mygroup and all users has Read and Write. I can also verify directly on server. Documents are 777 (rwx for all)
* Ready only is not set on document
* Locked is not set on document

Symptoms:
* When I open a document located on the share in Word on the Mac - it displays a message that the document is read only and only gives me the option do duplicate it. I can duplicate it fine and save to the network location, but when opening the duplicated document, I get the read only message again.
* No other programs are behaving this way on the same share - Excel, Powerpoint etc works fine. I can even open a Word document in a text editor and are able to save it - so if it definitely not read only
* If I create a new Word document and saves it to this network share - I get the same behaviour - it gets read only
* If I map the network share using NFS v3 or Samba (SMB) protocol instead of NFS v4, it works fine - issue is only with NFS v4 (I prefer using NFS over SMB due to speed & reliability when there are many files)
So somehow Word thinks that documents on the network share are read only - while they definitely not are read only.

Any similar experiences with FreeNAS/TrueNAS or any ideas on what is the source of issue here?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might need to look into the options when mounting that NFS share... specifying "nolock"

Something like this:

You may be able to find similar advice for Mac somewhere, but I think that gives you the idea.

steinrr

Dabbler
You might need to look into the options when mounting that NFS share... specifying "nolock"

Something like this:

You may be able to find similar advice for Mac somewhere, but I think that gives you the idea.

Unfortunately there are no client mount options for NFS v4. These only works for previous versions of NFS.

sretalla