Unable to Control Access Groups/Users Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeVenice

Cadet
I am a newbie to FreeNAS 9.10.1 (First Time) Setup being said. However, have extensive knowledge with enterprise Lenovo, Synology and QNAP NAS servers, which I understand how to setup users and group access from there user GUI interfaces. Understandable, FreeBSD use UNIX user and group policies. When I use a created user and access a share (SMB) on a window 7 machine it access (all) share names not just that one. How control access to each windows share Read, Write and View Access to SMB shares?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

DeVenice

Cadet
The link to monkey was great! (9.10.1) -I setup my volumes/shares, admin rights and able to see them from windows network drives. However, now trying to set security non-inherent from the admin account. After the setup I change the SMB File mask: 0660 / Directory mask: 0770 - But, when I login to windows account and check the ACL (Pemissions for Everyone) still say Read&excute, List folder contents and Read is Allow. I am not sure whey the ACLs are not being set turn off.

DeVenice

Cadet
I found a work around for the SMB File Mask issues... Now trying to add a user I created in FreeNAS to the windows 7 Group and user ACL names but, with no luck - the network can see the other computer but, can not add to ACL user group unable to find. Please someone HELP with the final piece of the puzzle getting my FreeNAS online...

DeVenice

Cadet
Working on setting up FreeNAS for over 4 Days! – ENOUGH is ENOUGH (Open Source – 200K people working on project - I can tell) computer companies and business need confidence in a product – running their business and protecting critical data.

I REALLY CANNOT GET THE DOMAIN/SMB (USER) TO WORK IN WINDOWS (4 DAYS NOTING) TIME IS MONEY and MONEY IS TIME!

Seriously, I really wanted FreeNAS to be my company new servers platform in 2017 for customers. For over 12 years, I've been using DELL, HP, QNAP, LENOVO, and SYNOLOGY servers and had not had any critical failures yet. The learning curve has been minimum taken only 2 days max to understand their NAS configuration for ADMIN / USERS and Permission Controls.

CONFUSING, your FREENAS seems like a Rabbit Hold with NO BOTTOM….

Trying to Test a system to see if FreeNAS ready for prime-time small businesses – I am at door #3 now knowing with request for paid expert service (TeamViewer) request for FreeNAS 9.10.1 support. The help forums (great) with some good info but, not responsive to my direct needs and timing for quick resolutions.

DeVenice

Cadet
Working on setting up FreeNAS for over 4 Days! – ENOUGH is ENOUGH (Open Source – 200K people working on project - I can tell) computer companies and business need confidence in a product – running their business and protecting critical data.

I REALLY CANNOT GET THE DOMAIN/SMB (USER) TO WORK IN WINDOWS (4 DAYS NOTING) TIME IS MONEY and MONEY IS TIME!

Seriously, I really wanted FreeNAS to be my company new servers platform in 2017 for customers. For over 12 years, I've been using DELL, HP, QNAP, LENOVO, and SYNOLOGY servers and had not had any critical failures yet. The learning curve has been minimum taken only 2 days max to understand their NAS configuration for ADMIN / USERS and Permission Controls.

CONFUSING, your FREENAS seems like a Rabbit Hold with NO BOTTOM….

Trying to Test a system to see if FreeNAS ready for prime-time small businesses – I am at door #3 now knowing with request for paid expert service (TeamViewer) request for FreeNAS 9.10.1 support. The help forums (great) with some good info but, not responsive to my direct needs and timing for quick resolutions.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
For a business case, why not go with a fully supported system by IXSystems, like TrueNAS, instead of yelling and screaming on here about how horrible open source is?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Instead of rambling, you'll get better help if you clearly explain the problem. For instance, I have no idea what you mean by:
Now trying to add a user I created in FreeNAS to the windows 7 Group and user ACL names but, with no luck
And messing with the Unix permissions? That's not right, it shouldn't even let you.

Status
Not open for further replies.